89 175hp 4.3 alpha 1 milky oil/water discharge

Deadeye1967

Cadet
Hello thanks for reading

Experienced aito/truck wrench newbe boat wrench just bought a 89 Glastron Sierra 195 4.3 175 hp alpha 1 outdrive thats having a few issues. Second time out I hit a stump or something and bent the lower unit output shaft tore up the prop, skag ect... Ive replaced the lower unit, put a new prop on and the last time I was out I notice yoohoo (oil/water mix) coming out of a small hole inside the boat, just above where the driveshaft goes into the out drive, looks like maybe a vent for the bellows ?? There isn't a whole lot of yoohoo coming out ans sometimes a few drops of clear water are present. The flow of yoohoo increases with RPM's and occurs both on the muffs and on the lake. lower unit fluid looks good, I've greased the gimble...any ideas on what it could be or is and how to best approach the repair, tech manual links and or pic would be apprieciated. I got the boat for what I guess to be a good price, but I'm already 550 into it and summer hasn't even begun... thanks Deadeye:D

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 89 175hp 4.3 alpha 1 milky oil/water discharge

Hello thanks for reading

Experienced aito/truck wrench newbe boat wrench just bought a 89 Glastron Sierra 195 4.3 175 hp alpha 1 outdrive thats having a few issues. Second time out I hit a stump or something and bent the lower unit output shaft tore up the prop, skag ect... Ive replaced the lower unit, put a new prop on and the last time I was out I notice yoohoo (oil/water mix) coming out of a small hole inside the boat, just above where the driveshaft goes into the out drive, looks like maybe a vent for the bellows ?? There isn't a whole lot of yoohoo coming out ans sometimes a few drops of clear water are present. The flow of yoohoo increases with RPM's and occurs both on the muffs and on the lake. lower unit fluid looks good, I've greased the gimble...any ideas on what it could be or is and how to best approach the repair, tech manual links and or pic would be apprieciated. I got the boat for what I guess to be a good price, but I'm already 550 into it and summer hasn't even begun... thanks Deadeye:D

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like the bellows is leakin', 'n the water is mixin' with the purged grease, 'n possibly outdrive oil, from the top main seal...

The Adults Only section at the top of this forum has Tons of useful Info for ya,... ;)

Deadeye1967

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like the bellows is leakin', 'n the water is mixin' with the purged grease, 'n possibly outdrive oil, from the top main seal...

The Adults Only section at the top of this forum has Tons of useful Info for ya,... ;)

Thanks Bond -0 is this something I can run for awhile w/o tons of collateral damage or do i need to pull the drive now?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bond -0 is this something I can run for awhile w/o tons of collateral damage or do i need to pull the drive now?

Ayuh,... The cost will continue to climb, as more dry parts, get wet, 'n rusted...

Deadeye1967

Cadet

Ayuh,... The cost will continue to climb, as more dry parts, get wet, 'n rusted...

OK well I read up on the adults only section, ton of great info like as stated, but somehwere in there was a part number for a complete bellows kit, gimble bearing and all. Does any one have that part number, I can find it again?

Also with this 24 year old boat, I'm guessing it would be a good idea to replace the u joint to while I'm in there, is that correct? Apparently they are standard unis available at any auto parts store, cool deal.

I think I am going to try a combination of tactics to get the gimble bearing out, (it appears that is the hardest part of the whole procedure). I'm going to drill the outer race in 5 or 10 differnet places to weakin the grip the use a slide hammer to pop it out. sounds like it would work good in therory any comments???

Bondo

Staff member

OK well I read up on the adults only section, ton of great info like as stated, but somehwere in there was a part number for a complete bellows kit, gimble bearing and all. Does any one have that part number, I can find it again?

Also with this 24 year old boat, I'm guessing it would be a good idea to replace the u joint to while I'm in there, is that correct? Apparently they are standard unis available at any auto parts store, cool deal.

I think I am going to try a combination of tactics to get the gimble bearing out, (it appears that is the hardest part of the whole procedure). I'm going to drill the outer race in 5 or 10 differnet places to weakin the grip the use a slide hammer to pop it out. sounds like it would work good in therory any comments???

Ayuh,.... Not much Saltwater in Wisconsin, 'n if it's ever seen grease, it oughta come right out with a 10lb. slidehammer...

Deadeye1967

Cadet

Thanks again Bond O !!! The parts are in route, I even bought the bellows sealer. I'll snap some pics of the repair progress to post and let update when done, or I need help :)

Deadeye1967

Cadet

OK I recieved the bellows kit and hinge pin tool but the bellows adhesive was "out fo stock" lol my luck and will be shipped at a later date...Does anyone know if there is a comperable substitution? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

OK I recieved the bellows kit and hinge pin tool but the bellows adhesive was "out fo stock" lol my luck and will be shipped at a later date...Does anyone know if there is a comperable substitution? Thanks

Ayuh,.... Contact cement,... weatherstrip adhesive.....

Deadeye1967

Cadet

OK I'm going to try and pst my update one again, if the site doesn't take it oh well...First off thanks to everyone who posts on this site. I am a wrench but changing the gimble bearing ect...seemed quite daunting until I joined Iboats...hell now I think I may switch over t smooth bottom vehicles instead of the 4 wheeled kind!

Any way, I got the drive out, 58 min from the time I pulled the boat cover back till was looking at the drive on my garage floor, the G bearing just as Bond-O stated, about 4 whack with a 10 lb slide and it popped out, the inner grease seal came with it though, was this supposed to happpen? It doesn't look to be damaged can i re use it ? A new one didn;t come with the kit...

I;m going back together today, new Mercruiser lower shift cable as I ws having a stall problem! I post my progress if this post gets ummm posted :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

OK I'm going to try and pst my update one again, if the site doesn't take it oh well...First off thanks to everyone who posts on this site. I am a wrench but changing the gimble bearing ect...seemed quite daunting until I joined Iboats...hell now I think I may switch over t smooth bottom vehicles instead of the 4 wheeled kind!

Any way, I got the drive out, 58 min from the time I pulled the boat cover back till was looking at the drive on my garage floor, the G bearing just as Bond-O stated, about 4 whack with a 10 lb slide and it popped out, the inner grease seal came with it though, was this supposed to happpen? It doesn't look to be damaged can i re use it ? A new one didn;t come with the kit...

I;m going back together today, new Mercruiser lower shift cable as I ws having a stall problem! I post my progress if this post gets ummm posted :confused:

Ayuh,... It don't do much,.. It only holds back abit of purged grease from goin' into the motor box...

Deadeye1967

Cadet

Ayuh,... It don't do much,.. It only holds back abit of purged grease from goin' into the motor box...

Cool, thats what I was thinking, I assume it should be installed seated all the way back until it's seated in the housing....The shaft spline grease was solidified almost gluesing the shaft in two questions...

1. would this have caused any vibration?
2. whats the best grease to use? will normal EP grease be ok for the splines?

OK three questions? :redface:

to be honest with ya, I'm kinda diggin turning wrenches on this out drive, wish I'd have bought one years ago and dismissed all the horror stories you hear about them....