Exhaust bellows slides off

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All, 2 times this season my exhaust bellows slid off the transom side of the attach point. It was installed new the bgining of the season using QS bellows adhesive per the Merc. MX Manual. I dont know if the mating surface is contaminated,(I will clean & prime next season).1998 Alpha 1 Gen. 2. Seems to me like the flange could use a lip at the end. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhaust bellows slides off

I dont know if the mating surface is contaminated
That would be My Guess..........<br /><br />I'd try Cleaning it Extremely Well,+ Do it Again,.......<br /><br />The Other Option is to switch to the Exhaust Sleeve type,... <br />It attaches Only on the transom side,+ just Points into the outdrive side,......

4 Reel

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo, Is that type sleeve available for the Alpha 1 gen 2, I dont recall seeing it at the merc. parts express page. I would be interested in that, I guess it would be a little louder as the drive is trimmed up & it separates. Thanks

Laddies

Banned

The tube is Merc# 78458A1 or Sierra# 18-2760 and fits all I and Bravo drives

Bondo

Staff member

I Believe this can be Retro-Fitted to All the Merc. drives.......<br /><br />
337.jpg
<br /><br />Laddies is Absolutlely Right with those part #s.........<br /><br />BTW,.... That's a Really Poor Picture.....