maniflold/Exhaust elbow question

phileepo

Cadet
I just acquired an older 165hp mercruiser, 1984 vintage in a ski boat. It runs and looks great and the people I just got it from have had it for the past 15 years and took really good care of it....However...after reading some posts on this here wonderful site, I hear that one should replace the exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow (whatever that is) at least every 5 years. So I ask the previous owners if they have ever changed these items and they say no. So it is likely these things have never been changed. So how is this possible that a 30 year old boat has never had this problem when some people say this should be done every 5, or is the manifold scare just something to worry about in salt water or is this boat just running on borrowed time. Would I be wise to immediately change it out or would I be ok to wait until the spring. It doesnt show any signs of trouble right now. Also, what is a water reversing kit I also heard about. Kind of wish I never read about the manifold issue, ignorance is bliss.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: maniflold/Exhaust elbow question

if you are in fresh water (not in saltwater), yes, it could be original and not have a problem. if your in salt water, the manifolds and risers have a life expectancy of 5 years.