Merc 2barrel carb

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well the fleet is acting up on all front's. Just rebuilt a merc 2barrel for a 3.0 4cyl..soaked and all passages blown out and wired..Carb is clean as it comes..So ran great 2 months ago and now this no idle. I can prime her..two pumps nice clean stream and poof off it goes..for 5 sec's no amount of choke gets it up and going. But back to a 3 prime strokes and viola shes running for 3 secs and dead.

One time i tried to manually primer it after start and big old back fire...Is my idle circut closed or plugged again? or is there some kind of return plugged. I am going to get a big hammer i think...One shot..to the moon alice.:eek:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Merc 2barrel carb

Sounds like some dirt got dislodged from somewhere and has made its way into the nice clean carbie.... Time to pull it off and clean it again. :facepalm:... This time I'd also pull everything engine side of the filter and strip and clean all that too, then a nice new filter... I know it's a ball-ache, but that's owning a boat... Just be grateful you haven't had to pull your engine 10 times in the last 3 years!!!

Cheers,

Chris......

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You were right Chris but its more than just a little dirt i will post pics you have to see it to believe it. A few weeks ago i inspected the tank quite a bit of debris in there. Something ate all the runnber lines off the internal's...It went up hill into the carb and ...wait till i post pics of a carb cleaned 3 months ago.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Old rubber fuel lines + Ethanol 'enriched' petrol = Your carbie....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Old rubber fuel lines + Ethanol 'enriched' petrol = Your carbie....

boatfinal012.jpg

Nothing more to be said...Ive never seen anything like that. That's a clean rebuild 3 months ago

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is why all 3.0L engines should have water separating fuel filters installed.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Not disagreeing with you at all ..However that boat has been in my garage all winter never below 45-50...Anyway water contamination is what you are seeing. I thought brass did not rust and there is rust there

thejeep007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I rebuilt my carb it looked just like that but worse. Figured they ran a lava stone filter in the pump and it broke apart.

thejeep007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

carb.jpgcarb.jpg
Still have the picture. Muriotic acid cleaned it right up.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

boatfinal012.jpg

minnkota004.jpg

That is the contamination after only 3 months of sitting.The power valve.. idle circut everything was plugged shut with contamination. I soaked the entire carb in white vinegar for 24 hours blew out all the circuts with high pressure water..soaked them in baking soding for thirty minutes to neutralize the acid and assembled. Works well now and water seperator is going on the system.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Water seperator installed and hopefully the carb is now protected from such contamination

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've been seeing that in carbs for years. Long before the ethanol problem. It's water, and corrosion from different kinds of metal.

Keep the water out of the fuel, and the carb won't corrode like that.