Hard Prop Hit, Now Prop Not Spinning.

LIbottomsup

Recruit
I have a 1985 mercruiser 4 cyl with alpha one outdrive. Problem is I hit ground and now am getting no prop response at all. The boat does not even seem to be shifting into gear. There is no feel of going into forward or reverse. Not really sure where to start. Prop turns by hand in gear in the correct direction and then makes kinda of a "klunking" sound in the other direction. The shifter seems to be working fine but when I throttle up the engine just revs and the prop does not turn either direction. Any advise on where to begin is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Hard Prop Hit, Now Prop Not Spinning.

First off do not run it any more, because your impeller is probably not pumping water and you will very quickly burn your shutters and engine exhaust bellows. It sounds like internal damage to the outdrive possibly a broken driveshaft (the vertical shaft between the gearhousing and the driveshaft housing). Probably time to pull the outdrive ans separate the upper and lower and take a look.

Bondo

Staff member

First off do not run it any more, because your impeller is probably not pumping water and you will very quickly burn your shutters and engine exhaust bellows. It sounds like internal damage to the outdrive possibly a broken driveshaft (the vertical shaft between the gearhousing and the driveshaft housing). Probably time to pull the outdrive ans separate the upper and lower and take a look.

Ayuh,.... That's My guess....

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1985 mercruiser 4 cyl with alpha one outdrive. Problem is I hit ground and now am getting no prop response at all. The boat does not even seem to be shifting into gear. There is no feel of going into forward or reverse. Not really sure where to start. Prop turns by hand in gear in the correct direction and then makes kinda of a "klunking" sound in the other direction. The shifter seems to be working fine but when I throttle up the engine just revs and the prop does not turn either direction. Any advise on where to begin is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How fast were you going when you hit ground? If very slow you may have just ruined the prop hub. If you doing any kind of speed you need to remove the OD and check it out. Until you are DO NOT run it.

rickryder

Commander

Doubt highly it's a spun hub.... More likely the shaft....even a spun hub will spin the prop but slip under load....and no clunking sound...Pull the lower unit and have a look see ;)