Putting my outdrive back on question.

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About to put my mercruiser outdrive back on to the boat. It is an '87 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 3.0.

I have all new gaskets and seals which came with the shift cable kit. There seems to be 2 gaskets for the bell housing in the kit, are they both used in the install?

There is also a ring / seal which doesn't match anything I removed when I replaced the bellows etc. Is there a hidden ring/seal I can't find?

Lastly, do I use any adhesive or oil on the gaskets or seals.

Thanks again for all the help here, I hope to have this on the water this weekend.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Putting my outdrive back on question.

Glue the large quad ring in place, and the water passage oring. There are also 3 orings for the splined shaft that goes in the coupler, the larger one of the 3 is used an shaft with 3 oring grooves (Gen II with grease zirks on the coupler), you don't have that.
Oil works great on those orings. Gasket goes on dry, no sealer.

attachment.php

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am only seeing 2 orings on the splined shaft. There are 2 grooves in the shaft. I left the old orings in place for reference purposes. Did I leave an oring inside where the gimbal bearing is when I removed the outdrive? Is it possible this unit only has 2 orings on the spline?

Also there are 2 gaskets in the kit, one has a square top and the other has a rounded top. The square topped gasket has what looks like a red silicon sealant already on it. do I use both of these gaskets? Trying to upload photo, not having any luck with that. Will post a picture as soon as I figure it out

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like I said above, you don't have 3 grooves, that extra oring is just that........ extra. The gasket kit covers different drives.

Post a picture of your gaskets, and what is the kit number? http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=468676

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the picture of the gaskets. This is what I ordered through Iboats.com

18-2619-1 Outdrive Gasket Set - replaces O.E. # 27-94996A1

Attachments

• PICT0191.jpg
    PICT0191.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0

stang32

Chief Petty Officer

the gasjet on the left is a gen II gasket, you dont have that. I do believe you can use that gasket in a pinch but it is larger than your gen 1 on the outside edges.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

the gasjet on the left is a gen II gasket, you dont have that. I do believe you can use that gasket in a pinch but it is larger than your gen 1 on the outside edges.

NO! The gasket on the left is for any drive with the squared off housing, which started in 1983... The one on the right is for the MC-1.... You should be using the one on the left....

Chris......

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, should the red stuff face the bell husing or the outdrive?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bell-housing.