Turn ignition key, randomly clicks or cranks.

mikeshbike

Recruit
I have a 1999 Merc (GM) 5.7L with a Bravo III drive. On a random basis when I turn the key I get a click and no crank. If I turn the key it may click again several times, then it may crank. It may then crank and start when I turn the key for days, then randomly act up. Batteries are charged. The starter is several years old and has few miles on it. It has a new ignition switch. My former mechanic (former cause he moved several states away) said he thinks it is the slave solenoid. Before I go changing out parts I would like to have some confirmation. Also would like any tips on diagnosing this, but figure it will be hard if a random problem. It may click on the first turn of the key, then start on the next turn of the key; or it may start ten times in a row, then just click several times on the next several turns of the key.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Turn ignition key, randomly clicks or cranks.

Interesting problem, my 1998 5.7L does the same thing. Usually it happens a little more right after I de-winterize it, but then into the season it pretty much goes away. I would be very interested in hearing if you solve this one...

mikeshbike

Recruit
Re: Turn ignition key, randomly clicks or cranks.

I will keep you posted. I have had suggestions on making sure all connections are clean and tight, battery to starter. Check neutral start switch in shifter, check contacts for being burnt on ignition switch, solenoids, and starter. My fear has been that what is a random event turns into a chronic one or a failure out on the water. Troubleshooting is hard as it is random. Happened this year after season in storage, happened on lake several times last year after being hot, happened at the dock once or twice.

Interesting problem, my 1998 5.7L does the same thing. Usually it happens a little more right after I de-winterize it, but then into the season it pretty much goes away. I would be very interested in hearing if you solve this one...