4.3 Carter/Weber 9600 Carb Rebuild question - check ball

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did Carter ever use just a check ball and spring in the main discharge nozzle circuit? All the pictures i see show a check ball and brass weight. When I took the carb apart last night I ended up with a check ball and a small tapered spring.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 4.3 Carter/Weber 9600 Carb Rebuild question - check ball

Did Carter ever use just a check ball and spring in the main discharge nozzle circuit? All the pictures i see show a check ball and brass weight. When I took the carb apart last night I ended up with a check ball and a small tapered spring.

Yes, under the accelerator pump plunger...

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, under the accelerator pump plunger...

I'm talking about under the main discharge nozzle (squirter nozzle on primaries).

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm talking about under the main discharge nozzle (squirter nozzle on primaries).

It's a check valve so air isn't sucked into the float chamber and fuel can't be sucked up through the nozzles and into the air stream....

Have a look at page 18, section 5C, of the service manual. They are parts numbered 27 & 28... and described on the next page as

27 - Check-weight (or Check-spring, if so equipped)
28 - Check-ball

Chris..........

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANKS! That's where that spring goes then (an option for the weight) I just bought a new kit and used the weight to be on the safe side.