No spark

DeckApe

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 233 I rebuilt out of my 1977 SeaRay, Engine S/N 4497497. I have been meticulous about taking pictures during disassembly and labeling every wire and bolt. I have it back together and one of the upgrades I did was the Pertronix Ignitor II module with the Flamethrower II coil and I have no spark from the coil. I have gone over every wiring diagram and just about every posting regarding the subject. Here is what I've done to troubleshoot the problem.

1. The first wiring was simply installing the new coil in place of the old one and of course installing the ignition module. When that failed I read a few posts and reviewed my wiring diagram to realize I needed to address the resistance cable. I cut and taped off both ends of the resistance cable and ran a 12 volt ignition wire from the choke lead straight to the positive side of the coil. No difference.

2. Reading the manual it talks about the shift cutout switch. It says it is wired to the primary side of the coil, thru the switch and to ground, but the wiring diagram shows this brown wire going to the negative side of the coil. I'm suspecting this could be part of my problem. However, I did test the limit switch at the transom and everything is working as it is supposed to there.

3. I checked the resistance of the new coil which should be 0.6 OHMS and it showed 0 resistance so I checked the OEM coil and it was about 0.5 OHMS so I threw it in there and tried again, nothing. I have a 3.0 OHM Flamethrower on my dune buggy so I threw that on there and tried it still no spark.

I have no idea what I'm overlooking, I have 12 volts, with the key on, at the positive side of the coil. I have the tan wire from the starter solenoid and the red wire from the Ignitor II going to the positive side of the coil and I have the brown wire from the shift cutout switch and the black wire from the Ignitor II going to the negative side of the coil. I have even tried removing the brown wire from the negative side to see if it made a difference and nothing.

Does anyone see what I'm missing here?

89sandman

Seaman
Re: No spark

are you still running the ballist resister from the points? if so check it for continuity. wire the red wire for the pertronix to the wire that goes to the side of the ballist that does not go to the coil, splice wires a couple of inches before the wire attaches to the ballast and see if this helps... if you go to the pertronix website it will show the correct ways to hook up the wiring with or without ballast resistor. the pertronix is what makes your coil "fire" if you've got good wiring to the coil and a good coil your problem is most likely in the wiring to the pertronix... a 12 volt power source to the pertronix while the engine is CRANKING is critical. most of the engine wiring drops to about 8 volts under cranking conditions. hope this helps.

DeckApe

Cadet

Thanks guys for the replies. I had a revelation at 3 AM that my problem had to be something to do with the Ignitor II installation. So I got up and reviewed the installation instructions on the Pertronix website. Come to realize that I removed the breaker plate points, condenser and all instead of mounting the Ignitor II on top of the breaker plate. I was out there in the driveway at 3:30 AM fixing my mistake and I'm happy to say she fired right up! Although I don't think my neighbors are too happy with me today.

89sandman

Seaman

nothing like a little early am trouble shooting to get the day started right:)