Fuel Pump for 2003 Mercury 3.0/135

cdecandia

Recruit
I need to replace my fuel pump on my '03 Mercruiser 3.0. I plan on ordering the pump online. Can anyone out there confirm the model #? The one I found is a Sierra International P/N 18-7282 but I can't for the life of me find anything to confirm it is the correct part.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Pump for 2003 Mercury 3.0/135

Why do you think you need a new pump? Have you checked/replaced the filter in your old one? Have you checked the fuel pump pressure? Is there a problem with the supply of fuel to your pump?

cdecandia

Recruit

I was going to just replace the filter which was in very bad condition (rusted to the bottom of the pump) and ended up 'butchering' the metal housing for the filter. I then called the dealer to order the filter and the housing at which point I learned the housing comes with the pump and cannot be ordered separately. The dealer said they do not have the pump in stock so I decided to order it myself to save a few dollars but want to ensure I order the correct part.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the 18-7282 is the correct pump. I would also strongly suggest you install a water separating fuel filter like this one so you don't get water in your pump.
And change the filter element at least yearly. If there is a lot of water in your tank, you might want to consider getting the water out. Hate to think what your carb must look like inside.

cdecandia

Recruit

Thanks Don!
One more question. What would you recommend I use for a gasket sealer on the pump?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Don!
One more question. What would you recommend I use for a gasket sealer on the pump?

Ayuh,.... Clean the block's surface, 'n install the gaskets, Dry...