Mercruiser pre-alpha trim problems

gabeff48

Recruit
HELP!!!
The trim pump and outdrive are acting funny. the out drive will trim up just fine and stops( pump changes its sound) but triming down the pump just runs and runs(pump never changes sound). the outdrive will trim down but it doesnt seem like is going all the way down and over the weekend when i put the boat in reverse the outdrive was bouncing up out of the water and the boat wouldnt reverse. i've checked the trim fluid in both the up and down pos and its full. the fluid looks milky like air is gitting in somehow.

1977 Chaparral 165
Mercruiser 140
Pre-Alpha Outdrive

Thanks!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser pre-alpha trim problems

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... There's very little noise change when it bottoms out....

The kickin' up in reverse is because the reverse lock on the transom ain't workin'...

gabeff48

Recruit

Thanks
Ill check on the reverse lock to see if its working. the trim pump seems to have power to pick up the outdrive but dosent seem to have much power at all going down. in the past i was able to put the outdrive down in the sand to keep the boat on the beach but now it just seems to sit on the ground like the pump isnt pushing it down. the trim pump just runs with no change in pich. could the pump be bypassing internally?

gabeff48

Recruit

Not sure if its related but both of the trim sending units on the outdrive are unhooked. the insulation on the wires corroded and flaked off so i unhooked them so not to short anything out.

gabeff48

Recruit

anyone have instructions on adjusting the reverse lock valve?

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

adults only at the top of the page you can look up the manual you need