Lifter chatter

bobby bushay

Cadet
3.0l/lx 1996. This site has helped me so much in the time that I have owned my boat. Thank you all !!

My engine sounds great at idle on the water. I could putt putt (2000 rpm or lower) on the lake all day with no lifter chatter at all. My oil pressure seems low. 15 psi 1000 rpm, never going above 25 psi even at 3000 rpm or higher.

My issue is... 3 or 4 minutes of 25-40 mph cruising I start to hear lifter chatter coming on. I back off too idle, it will continue to chatter for 5-10 seconds then completely go away. Could this be due to low oil pressure,wrong vis oil or oil filter? I plan on changing the oil (20/40 full syn oil,right?) and change oil filter when I get boat home. I'm on the lake this weekend and I could take slow cruises for the remaining time I am here. I hope I'm not just answering my own question by assuming it's just low oil pressure causing the chatter. Before I found this site I changed the oil. I put 15w40 and (car filter)not a quicksilver oil filter on. In my research on this site I have learned that that could be my issue.

Thanks again to everyone that takes the time to help others out on this site.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lifter chatter

Ayuh,... Is the oil level, Over full,..??

If it is, the crankshaft hits it, aerating it into a froth, causin' what's happenin'...

Also,... No reason what so ever the brand of filter has much of anything to do with it,....
I run Napa Gold filters on mine,.. they're rebadged Wix filters, some of the Best on the planet...

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oil level low or high. Low the pump is starving. High its getting aerated. 25 Psi at 3000 is more than enough for an engine to survive.

bobby bushay

Cadet

Oil level low or high. Low the pump is starving. High its getting aerated. 25 Psi at 3000 is more than enough for an engine to survive.

I thought I may have over filled it when I changed it. Dip stick is an inch over full. I think I recall ending up with 5 and a half quarts empty. I will pull plug,drain some oil out and try it out. Thank you guys!

Bondo

Staff member

I thought I may have over filled it when I changed it. Dip stick is an inch over full. I think I recall ending up with 5 and a half quarts empty. I will pull plug,drain some oil out and try it out. Thank you guys!

Ayuh,... Over-full is Way Worse than under full....

Anywhere, 'tween the add, 'n full marks, is just Perfect....

bobby bushay

Cadet

It worked. Took a quart of oil out. Back out on the lake. WOT no chatter. Thanks again!