4.3L Mercruiser poor power

Kathleen101

Recruit
I have a 4.3L mercruiser and am having some issues. When I turn the key there is a loud beep which stops when the engine starts. Would like to know what is causing the beep. Also, although the boat starts and will run, it has no power pulling away and won't plane out. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3L Mercruiser poor power

When I turn the key there is a loud beep which stops when the engine starts. Would like to know what is causing the beep.

Low oil pressure alarm. When you first turn the key on, there is no oil pressure and the alarm sounds. When you start the engine, you have oil pressure and the alarm stops.

although the boat starts and will run, it has no power pulling away and won't plane out.

Could be a lot of things for that one. When was the last tuneup, compression test, etc.? Are you using the trim?

Really need some more engine information, like year, carb or efi, what drive. Serial numbers work best, year of the boat may not be year of your engine.

Kathleen101

Recruit

Low oil pressure alarm. When you first turn the key on, there is no oil pressure and the alarm sounds. When you start the engine, you have oil pressure and the alarm stops.

Thanks, the oil was changed, and the oil is not low, so do I need to worry about this.

Could be a lot of things for that one. When was the last tuneup, compression test, etc.? Are you using the trim?

Really need some more engine information, like year, carb or efi, what drive. Serial numbers work best, year of the boat may not be year of your engine.

We just bought the boat used. Not sure about any previous maintenance. The engine is a 1997, 4.3L mercruiser, Engine Serial number 0L010915, transom serial number 0_205151, and the drive serial number 0L129707. It is a carb. I believe it is an alpha drive. Not at the boat right now but had the serial numbers written down.

Don S

Have you ever had a boat with a sterndrive before.

Kathleen101

Recruit

Have you ever had a boat with a sterndrive before.

We have only owned outboard motors before. I am sorry if I don't provide alot of info, it is my husbands boat, this is our first boat with an inboard motor. I really don't know anything about motors, so I will pass any info you can provide on to him. He is by no means a mechanic, but was able to service his outboard for minor issues.

Don S

If you didn't use the trim, that could explain the problem with not planing. The boat would just plow through the water.
Trim the drive up as speed increases.

Kathleen101

Recruit

If you didn't use the trim, that could explain the problem with not planing. The boat would just plow through the water.
Trim the drive up as speed increases.
He said he tried adjusting the trim but will try again. He figured there would be a bit of a learning curve from the outboard to the inboard, but wasn't able to get any power pulling away or planing out. Any other ideas if that doesn't work.

Bondo

Staff member

He said he tried adjusting the trim but will try again. He figured there would be a bit of a learning curve from the outboard to the inboard, but wasn't able to get any power pulling away or planing out. Any other ideas if that doesn't work.

Ayuh,... A general Tune Up, 'n filter change,... fuel filters especially... possibly a prop change....