Need Help from the experts. Kill switch problem ????? I Think.

Rodnator

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am a year past a complete restoration of 1988 Celebrity 210v with a new Mercruiser 5.7 alpha one upgrade. Every thing is new under the engine cover without exception. I had a magnificent 2nd half of last season without a single hiccup, until now. I recently went out only to last a 1000 yards of normal operation from the dock, warmed up gradually went under power and then a stall. It felt like someone pulled the plug out of the wall. no restart. Got towed brought back home and began to look for the issue. after throwing new filters, fuel water separator, fuel flow check at the carb, all good. I turned to ignition. was not getting a spark. Have Thunderbolt IV ignition, two brand new dual batteries with full charge, was getting no spark, no voltage reading at the positive pole. I then noticed my gauges that operate only with the key in the run position were not working; voltage, gas gauge, trim, temp etc... checked all fuses, all is good. Finally I pulled the kill switch key and then reinserted the lanyard key, and only after i manually pulled outward on the kill switch did the gauges spring to life. with a Jerry rigged kill switch I now have Voltage at the positive coil, still no spark/start. . all ignition wires checked their entire length for continuity all good. did I stumble onto a secondary issue or am i dealing with my ignition culprit here in this switch. my Jerry rig (temp Trouble shoot) is to have stuck a flat blade screw driver behind the key as the key seems to have worn thin from UV exposure and 20 years of pulling and reinserting the key, and it doesn't seem to pull out far enough on its own (suddenly) to complete the circuit properly. Is there more to this switch than a simple on off / open or closed circuit. In a bind, big week end coming up would love to get to the bottom of this issue and thank all of you guys in advance if you are able to help. Thanks, Rod

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need Help from the experts. Kill switch problem ????? I Think.

did I stumble onto a secondary issue or am i dealing with my ignition culprit here in this switch. my Jerry rig (temp Trouble shoot) is to have stuck a flat blade screw driver behind the key as the key seems to have worn thin from UV exposure and 20 years of pulling and reinserting the key, and it doesn't seem to pull out far enough on its own (suddenly) to complete the circuit properly. Is there more to this switch than a simple on off / open or closed circuit.

Ayuh,... Put a jumper wire across it, 'n eliminate it all together... Yes, it's open or closed...

Rodnator

Cadet
Re: Need Help from the experts. Kill switch problem ????? I Think.

I will try the jumper to make sure this is no longer part of the equation, I am hoping that this is the issue that solves the whole problem. Thanks for your reply. I will need to order a new switch, unless there is a universal replacement available for this part locally. Hope this works. Are you suggesting that there are only 2 wires that connect to this from the rear?