Intermittent Starting of 1987 5.7L Mercruiser

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today I went to start my engine and it wouldn't turn over. I hear a clicking sound coming from the engine compartment. I'm starting with the throttle only button engaged and the shifter about one quarter forward. I played with the shifter a couple of times put it back in neutral and then engaged the throttle only button and tried again and it still doesn't start. After 3 or 4 or more attempts on the ignition the engine turns over and the problem disappears The weather here lately has been cold and rainy.

I bought the boat last November and was told it hadn't run since September 2010. When I started it in my driveway for the first time in May it did the same thing. I also had a bad alternator. Do I have a corrosion problem?

I read "how to troubleshoot your engine's starting system" by Don which was very helpful. I'd like to fix the problem before it gets me on the water.

Where the problem is intermittent I can't troubleshoot it. Does anyone have any advice as to what the problem is? Slave solenoid, starter solenoid or starter motor or all of the above?

Thanks!

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Intermittent Starting of 1987 5.7L Mercruiser

Thanks Don. I read that post before I posted the new thread. It's awesome; thank you. I'll take a close look at the connections for looseness and corrosion. The problem is intermittent so I can't zero in on it. I'm going to print off your post and keep it on the boat. Those jumpers to start the engine on the water with a bad solenoid, what wire gauge do they need to be?

Thank you.