Ride-guide steering cable removal problem

crayguy

Cadet
Boat is a 1975 Sea Ray SRV 190 with a Mercruiser 233. The steering cable is original and over the winter it seized up. I have disconnected all of it except for the coupler nut on the cable guide at the transom. That nut is frozen solid. i.e, I lock the cable guide as tight as I can with the adjusting nuts and apply torque to the coupling nut, maybe about 75 ft-lb, the cable guide loosens up and the coupler nut is still tight. There just seems to be no way to get these guys apart short of ruining the cable guide with a pipe wrench or using heat. Anybody ever had to deal with this? My last resort is to apply heat to the coupler nut in a confined fiberglass cavity with oily surfaces around. I'm worried about fire. I have a copy of service manual 2. A good picture of the mechanics is shown in Fig. 1 on Page 2A-8. I need advice from someone who has solved this problem. Tnx.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ride-guide steering cable removal problem

Try cutting the cable nut off without damaging the threads of the tube.
You may have to replace the tube if everything fails. Wouldn't be the first one replaced.

crayguy

Cadet
Re: Ride-guide steering cable removal problem

Thanks for the advice Don S. That thing's coming out today. I'll secure the cable guide one more time, tap the coupler nut, apply a bit of heat and try to loosen it. Last step will be to cut the nut and/or the cable guide. That guide is no longer available and I don't want to machine one so I hope I don't damage the guide. crayguy