Mercruiser 470 stalling if not level

Riddles

Recruit
Please be gentle, I'm new to this! :)

I've been working on my boat for about a week now trying to get it lined out. It's an '80 Silverline Nantucket 17V with a Mercruiser 470. My husband has had it for about 8 years and it's sat for about 4. I met him 3 years ago and now I need a project, so I've taken it over from him. Unfortunately, it's also been sitting outside for 2 years without a cover, so it's in extra rough condition. Two years ago we had the wiring replaced and a new prop installed, got too busy with life, and never put it on the water.

The fuel pump is working well now that the filter o-ring was oiled and cover was tightened. I adjusted the two idle mix screws on the Rochester 2bbl carb, which corrected the rough idle and brought the idle up from 600 to 800rpm. The fuel was drained. Carb cleaned and a bottle of Sea Foam added to a full tank of new gas. It would idle and run for long periods of time without any issue, including putting it into gear and really bringing the RPM up and down quickly.

We launched it on a small lake a few days ago and it started and idled fine. It went into gear without issue, including reverse. It accelerated very cleanly. When we got out of the throttle and the stern rose up, the engine sputtered out and died. The throttle had to be pumped vigorously to get it to run and stay running again. Once it started running well again, we brought it up to speed and tried to turn the boat and as soon as it was on an angle, it died again. It required pumping again to run. Going over it's own wake also killed the engine.

Now, back in the driveway on a level surface, it starts and runs just fine. I know the carb needs rebuilt because of it's age and the length of time it sat, but what specifically could be causing it to stall and not want to run after being un-level?

I have plenty of other issues with the boat too, not related to the fuel system, but I want to start there first. :D Thanks guys!

Jen

cr2k

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 470 stalling if not level

Sounds like the float level is off. idle should be 700 or less 800 is too high.
The best advise for a 470 is pull the POS engine and replace with one worth you time.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 470 stalling if not level

Don't listen to the Captain, he's never owned a 470, just read about them. But he is on the right track, I would say you need to have the carb rebuilt or rebuild it yourself. From the sound of it the floats need adjusting or even sounds like you may have a slite leak in the float. There is not enough fluid in the float to make a difference when the boat is level but when the angle changes the fluid all goes to one side of the float and is enough weight to open the float valve and stall/flood the engine.

Just my $0.02 worth, I am a 470 owner.

Larry