Help with Mercruiser 120

BudL1te

Seaman
I bought a 1972 Crestliner Mercruiser 120 - hasn't been run in 6 years, I am rebuilding the Carb, changing the oil (old oil looks fresh and clear on dipstick, has gas smell to it) Going to put a couple of squirts of transmission fluid in each cylinder and let sit overnight.

Going to clean out the fuel tank with rubbing alcohol, let it sit overnight to get any varnish out. Don't know if gas evaporated or if it was emptied after last use.

I will get new Spark plugs.

Going to change the gear oil on the out drive and Lube through grease nipples.

Here are my questions:

Is the manual for this motor posted anywhere? All the links I have clicked on in the other threads have been removed.

What oil filter does it take? PH 6 ?

Is there anything else I should do before attempting to start?

Thank you for your help.

Buddy

BudL1te

Seaman
Re: Help with Mercruiser 120

I should mention also that this is my first boat. I have no experience with boats. I do have car motor experience and am pretty good at jerry rigging...

Alumarine

Captain

Welcome. PH30 or equivalent is the short filter. Not sure if the PH6 is the long one.

BudL1te

Seaman

Thank you.

Can I pick up points and Dist cap at an auto parts store? What is the cross reference for the motor? I know it is a Chevy 2.5.

Or do I need to find a Marine Dealer?

Buddy

Daddoo

Cadet

I did the same to mine last year. I replaced all of the ignition components. I am pretty sure I got most of them right here at iBoats. Grand total was about 80 bucks. Remember to check the timing. I've had too many years working on modern motors and couldn't figure out why the old boat wouldn't run right. Once I got a timing light on it and saw it was off by a country mile, it started running like a champ. Oh, and not to point out the obvious, but DO NOT start the engine without a water source.
IMG5258-L.jpg

BudL1te

Seaman

Thank you, I should have added that I was going to use the squeezer thingy and hook the hose up to it before attempting to crank the motor. I heard It always has to have water or messes up the outdrive.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I should mention also that this is my first boat. I have no experience with boats. I do have car motor experience and am pretty good at jerry rigging...

'Jerry rigging' is something you need to 'un-learn' with boats.... You do the job right or you don't do it at all... There are significant safety factors to take into consideration...

Chris.........

Daddoo

Cadet

Thank you, I should have added that I was going to use the squeezer thingy and hook the hose up to it before attempting to crank the motor. I heard It always has to have water or messes up the outdrive.

It doesn't mess up the outdrive - it kills the motor, Boats don't have radiators so that is the motors water source for cooling.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It doesn't mess up the outdrive - it kills the motor, Boats don't have radiators so that is the motors water source for cooling.

If the drive is Alpha One and earlier it can do significant damage to the internal plastic]/b] parts of the drive, like the water pocket cover and the water pump impeller housing.... It will also burn the exhaust shutters...

Chris..........