Yet another power steering mystery

Oduwake25

Cadet
I have a 1989 sea ray 180 with a 4.3L alpha one.

I was pulling a boarder the other day and when I gassed it up the out-drive 'straight so it pulled to the left, but when I went to correct the steering it took all my might to turn it back. when I got back to the house I checked the level of the fluid and it was very very low. Which made sense because I was noticing some oil on the side where the p.s rack is. So I added some fluid, when I took her out today i got about a half hour into the trip turned around and saw p.s fluid all over my back seat. so I came back in, Other then going and checking all of my connections what do you guys think I should do to trouble shoot. Trying not to drop $132 for a new high pressure hose.
Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yet another power steering mystery

clean everything up ,refill ps pump, have someone start the motor while you look.If its the old style with 2 steel lines,
check the steel lines and the main tube.possable crack in the hi pressure line where it connects to the unit, the steel fitting rusts out.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

If you need new lines..... Go to a hydraulic shop and they can make any type of high pressure line. Might be cheaper?

Oduwake25

Cadet

Its got rubber lines, and then steel where it connects to the rack. About to go clean and refill, hopefully i can find a loose line.

Bondo

Staff member

Its got rubber lines, and then steel where it connects to the rack. About to go clean and refill, hopefully i can find a loose line.

Ayuh,.... With a Gusher like that, a leak should be pretty easy to find...

Oduwake25

Cadet

I found it without even re filling, when I was cleaning I saw some air bubbles coming from the line on the right. Makes sense cause it was pointing in the right direction to be able to spray forward onto the seat.

Question is now is it the low or high pressure line and how do I not spend $132??

Bondo

Staff member

I found it without even re filling, when I was cleaning I saw some air bubbles coming from the line on the right. Makes sense cause it was pointing in the right direction to be able to spray forward onto the seat.

Question is now is it the low or high pressure line and how do I not spend $132??

Ayuh,... If it's held on by hose clamps, it's the low pressure return...

If the ends are crimped on, it's the High pressure side, 'n ya need the hose Made for it...

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is the high pressure hose, remove it and take it to a hose shop. Parker hose is my choice. Some larger napa stores do custom hoses. There will be a shop in your industrial area. If not one listed in phone book, call a local tractor repair shop and ask where they get theirs done. Last ps hose i hade custom made, cost 70 something dollars. That was for a 18 foot long hose (power rack on rear engine sand car)

Oduwake25

Cadet

Correct me if I am wrong but arent both connected at the rack with metal connections? and then on the pump side its a crimp or a hose clamp?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Possibly. Depends on your setup. If both are crimped at the rack, and you need to replace the low pressure rubber hose, you can usually cut the crimp and then clamp new hose on. Even if you need new low pressure hose, get it at hose shop. It will be cheaper, and better rated hose; make sure they know what type of fluid is being used so they give you the proper liner type.

Bondo

Staff member

Correct me if I am wrong but arent both connected at the rack with metal connections? and then on the pump side its a crimp or a hose clamp?

Ayuh,... Hoses have 2 ends, Yes...

Oduwake25

Cadet

Clearly, you didn't make it very clear on which side of the hoses you were talking about when you were talking about the difference in them I was trying to clarify so I understand.