Mercruiser I/O Tilt Issues

supermanisfat

Recruit
Hello, long time reader, first time writer. I have a 1976 Glastron Boat with the Mercruiser 140. Went to take the boat out yesterday and the tilt would not go down. Can hear a slight hum, maybe coming from pump but tilt wont go up or down. Any help would be greatly appricated.
We took it out about a month ago and all was fine. After bringing home, and a couple weeks later the tilt had went from up to down. Figured could be caused by the battery being dead, so charged the battery, raised the tilt up ( which seemed to go up fine) and took her to the water. As stated got to water put in and tilt would not go down. Please give me a good place to start with working on it since i really cant afford to take to shop, and would love to take the kids out tubing again soon. Thank You
Superman

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Mercruiser I/O Tilt Issues

sometimes the solenoid valves stick. make sure the reservoir level is good, then get a "healthy" friend to stand on the drive and bounce it up and down while your trying to lower it. In the future, when you raise the drive and hear the motor start to load (end of travel), back it down just a smidge. that will help keep the valves from sticking.

the valve dropping on the drive would be a symptom of a leak - either a solenoid valve, past the piston seals, or externally.

supermanisfat

Recruit

I tried to put pressure on it when in the water, and i weigh 250lbs but didnt budge. If i take the solenoid off can i manually unstick it? I work with cars and trucks for a living so i have some mechanical knowldge . I was thinking it was leaking also due to it coming down, but found a loose hose to tilt fluid resiovor. Figured that may have caused it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

its a 2-person operation. the valve is burried in the unit. but first and foremost. check your fluid level. if your level is low, it wont go down because all the oil is in the cylinders holding it up.

Alan Moriarty

Recruit

Had the same problem with my previous boat. Took electric solenoids off connection plate, took them apart, cleaned the contacts(some were burned). Put it back together and it worked for most of the season.

Regards,
Alan