Bad u-joints????

Crum

Cadet
I just replaced my impeller on my 70's 165 I-6 MC-1 and now when i rev it above 2000rpm there is fast clicking noise that comes from the out-drive. The clicking gets faster or slower based on the rpms. I had the drive in the trailer position and when I lowered it about 3/4 the way down the noise stopped, raise it back up and the noise started again. Could this be my u-joints going out? I never noticed it before I did the impeller.

I also noticed that there is a stream of water coming out of the drive around the lower shift shaft. I kept the control and lower end in forward during removal and installation and can easily shift thru the gears, though reverse is difficult to get in to without grinding the dogs a little.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and help!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Bad u-joints????

You should NEVER run the engine with the drive in the trailer position. It puts far too much stress on the unis... If it were me, I'd pull the drive now and check to make sure you haven't flicked a clip off. If it has, then that uni is moments away from a catastrophic failure...

Chris........

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should NEVER run the engine with the drive in the trailer position. It puts far too much stress on the unis... If it were me, I'd pull the drive now and check to make sure you haven't flicked a clip off. If it has, then that uni is moments away from a catastrophic failure...

Chris........

Chris is correct! Trailer position is just for that trailering. The U-Joint geometry is too severe to spin them there. That clicking you heard could very well have been the U-joints slapping the side of the case.

Dennis

Crum

Cadet

I was afraid of that....... I don't usually have the drive up that far when it's on the muffs (or in the water for that matter), but the trim limit switch wires are pretty much rotted off and I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to how far up it was. :facepalm: I'll pull it and check them once I make sure my local merc dealer has the parts in stock. Will I have to replace the u-joint bellow or can I reuse if it's not already trashed?

Any thoughts on the water coming out around the shift linkage?

At least this will give me a chance to replace the trim switch and sensor wires and see if I can get the trim gauge working. :D

Crum

Cadet

Well after looking through my repair receipts from the last few years I see that our old mech replaced the u-joints when he replaced the gimble bearing 2 years ago so I'm hoping that I just shaved some life off them. I'm going to get her on the water for the first time this year tomorrow and make sure she runs ok for our trip next weekend. I'll nurse her through that and replace them, and anything else I find after my work trip the following week.

I would prefer to do it this weekend but no one around here carries the parts so it will be next week (while I'm out of town again) before I can get them.

This is an old boat that we got for free and we never know when we may be stranded on the lake...... which is why I always keep a paddle and my wife on board..... :D Oh, and beer helps get a tow quicker too!!

Well after looking through my repair receipts from the last few years I see that our old mech replaced the u-joints when he replaced the gimble bearing 2 years ago so I'm hoping that I just shaved some life off them. I'm going to get her on the water for the first time this year tomorrow and make sure she runs ok for our trip next weekend. I'll nurse her through that and replace them, and anything else I find after my work trip the following week.

I would prefer to do it this weekend but no one around here carries the parts so it will be next week (while I'm out of town again) before I can get them.

This is an old boat that we got for free and we never know when we may be stranded on the lake...... which is why I always keep a paddle and my wife on board..... :D Oh, and beer helps get a tow quicker too!!
Doesnt matter if the U-Joints were replaced yesterday, if there "clicking" you need to pull the drive and check them...

Crum

Cadet

Understood. However, It doesn't click when the drive is at or below where the trim limit switch should stop it, just when it's all the way up. Plus, I really need to get it on the water to test the shifting and stuff before our actual trip to the lake next weekend. I have finagled a day off before that trip and will replace them before we leave. Just want to make sure everything else is in good order before hand so that if something goes wrong I know where to look first.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would do it today, you could very easily tear out a whole transom assembly for a bad u joint. 1 hour and a few gaskets is all it should take

Crum

Cadet

I would love to do it today, but unfortunately can't get the parts locally so I have to order them. Seems odd for living so close to do many lakes..... I just plan on puttering around the cove to make sure it will shift ok and doesn't leak anywhere. Probably won't get much above idle.

Although I'm having trouble figuring out which parts are for my drive. S/N 5226297. The gasket kit that I think I need appears to be out of stock on iboats....

NHGuy

Captain

Those u joints are very common automotive stuff. You will be kicking yourself if it breaks free and ruins stuff.

Crum

Cadet

Yes the u-joints are, but I can't find the gaskets locally. I'd do it without, but that seems like it could be pretty dang costly if it leaked.

Crum

Cadet

Also can't figure out which u-joint will work..... the parts counter guys around here are not very bright or helpful....

Crum

Cadet

Holy Crap!!!!! I found someone at a parts store that actually knows how to look up part numbers!!!! They have the parts in stock so I'll pick them up in the morning.