Merc 485 starting issues

Phantom383

Cadet
I have searched and tested and searched again and I'm lost and frustrated!

I have a 1980-82 Merc 485 serial #6123982 (off valve cover)
I brought this home about a week ago to take care of some things and to un-winterize it.

I had a fuel issue that I got fixed and almost had the boat started but I drained the battery trying to find my fuel problem.

Due to my haste I hooked the battery charger up with the cables still hooked to the battery.
My charger surged while I was doing some other things in the boat and I unplugged it as fast as I could.

I unhooked it and charged it over night.

When I put the battery back in and turned the key I had nothing at all, no click no hum, nothing at all!
So I looked on here and found the trouble shooting part so I went through it.

I have pwr to the key, neutral safety switch, to the starter solenoid, both I & S terminals but nothing going out to the starter.
I have replaced the solenoid with the same results and I'm lost :(

All my gauges work, I have power on both sides of the circuit breaker, power on both sides of the coil and every where else.

My starter only has 1 big wire to it but I'm not getting power to it for some reason.
Even if I jump the 2 I get nothing.
HELP!

Phantom383

Cadet
Re: Merc 485 starting issues

Is my starer junk?
Can't figure out why I don't have power on the starer side of the solenoid?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Does the starter have a solenoid mounted on it?

Phantom383

Cadet

No, just a single wire coming from the solenoid.

Would my charger have hurt my Battery when it surged?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you turn the key to the start position, do you have voltage to the small S terminal on the solenoid?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Would my charger have hurt my Battery when it surged?

Not likely. OK you should have 4 terminals on the solenoid. According to the diagram, a yellow from the ignition, and a tan going to the coil on the small terminals. A large red wire from the battery, and a large yellow going to the starter. The red wire should have 12v all the time, the (small) yellow 12V when turned to start, same for the tan and Large yellow. There is a 55A fuse and a circuit breaker in there too. Locate them and make sure they are OK. As a test, using a jumper wire directly from the battery (or from the large red wire on the solenoid) touch it to the small solenoid terminal with the yellow wire, and the solenoid should close and the starter turn. Let us know how that works out and we can work from there.

Phantom383

Cadet

Copied from my post:
I have pwr to the key, neutral safety switch, to the starter solenoid, both I & S terminals but nothing going out to the starter.

It was the battery, no AMP's boat started right up!!

Phantom383

Cadet

FYI if no one knew but you can use a 77 Ford Bronco Solenoid :)