Tan wire running under the alternator?

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good evening! I purchased an older, 1982 Renken 185 Bow-rider, boat from a neighborhood gentleman. He ?inherited? it from his father-in-law. At one point, the engine was replaced with a bigger I/O motor.. a 350 GM. There is a thick tannish wire, thicker than wires that run accessories, but not quite as thick as the mains to the battery terminal & starter. The tannish wire reached and was resting, unattached to anything on the passenger side of the motor when I bought it. The eyelet for the wire is pretty big, so I am assuming it must go to the alternator because there is no other post on that side of the motor within reach, aside from the water temp sensor which has a very, very small stem and nut on it going into the block. There also is a red wire of the exact same size in regards to length, thickness, and eye-hole right next to the tannish one and both come from under the motor through a black wire harness (which makes it somewhat difficult to follow back.) I placed a tester on the tannish wire and it receives constant power from the battery even with the ignition switch on the ?off? position. If I disconnect the negative ground wire that supplies the navigation lights system, this tannish wire will also lose its power feed, otherwise it gets constant juice. My question, do I want to hook up BOTH the red and tannish wires to the (Bat+) on the alternator? I am assuming (I know, never a good thing) that red is always needing power, but the previous owner says ?he thinks? the tan-colored wire was hooked up to the (Bat+) post on the alternator while the red just was laying there. Please see the attached photos for reference.Thanks for any input and advice!!! :confused:

Attachments

• Tannish wire.jpg
    Tannish wire.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Tannish wire2.jpg
    Tannish wire2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Tan wire running under the alternator?

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Can you find the other end of the tan wire? It may have been the field exciter wire for the previous alternator, which your current one may not need. If so, you need to remove the tan wire or at least wrap it up to prevent a short circuit.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Can you find the other end of the tan wire? It may have been the field exciter wire for the previous alternator, which your current one may not need. If so, you need to remove the tan wire or at least wrap it up to prevent a short circuit.

Traced it back..what a cluster*uck... I am still trying to figure out what the tan wire goes to..it gets constant juice from the battery when the ground wire to the navigation lights is hooked up to the negative battery terminal…it goes under the motor and is grouped with a couple of other wires that you can see from the pic with a blue arrow. The one picture shows it on the port side.. the previous owner had an automotive alternator on this.. Any ideas what to do with this wire after further review? Amazing… Thanks. Wiztanwirekeeper.jpgtanwirekeeper1.jpgtanwirekeeper2.jpg

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Who made the drive? Merc., OMC, someone else? Wiring is done by the drive (package) manufacture, not the boat company maker.

'82 GM 350 was called a Mercruiser 260. It would have had a MC-1 outdrive....

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's getting all redone Bubba, see this thread and you will understand. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=556152

Tan wires are normally for temp sending unit.

That was what I've been reading, but this is "bundled together with wires going to the starter/solenoid, that red reset, and the alternator as well. Would a temp send unit wire be that thick? It was being ran to the port side which has the temp sending unit threaded into the block on the same side. ????:facepalm:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should really try to keep engine related wiring questions to the engine forums, this forum is more for the accessories and general boat wiring of electronics, lights, pumps, stereos, etc. and engine and drive related wiring to the appropriate engine forum, rather IO or outboard.

It's hard to say what it was to begin with, everything else has been messed up, why would the wiring be any different. You need to trace that wire to where it ends on the other end. In the plug? if so which terminal.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's getting all redone Bubba, see this thread and you will understand. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=556152

Tan wires are normally for temp sending unit.

I'm going to purchase the pin harness back to the instrument panel, I just need to know what that tannish wire gets attached to on the portside of the engine and its functionality on the starboard side where you see it joined in a cluster*uck with wires going to the sole/starter, a red reset button, and I have no clue what the other mechanism is...tanwirekeeper1.jpgtanwirekeeper2.jpgtanwirekeeper4.jpg

Don S

The tan wire would may have been in the starter harness. It would have run just under the exhaust manifold, some wires split out of the harness for the alternator, and the tan wire (if for temp sender) would have went up the front of the block to the intake manifold or thermostat housing, where ever the temp sender was located.

Here is a link to the wiring diagram for the 260, check the tan wire for continuity between the end of the wire and terminal 3 of the harness plug.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152154&stc=1&d=1339615290

View attachment #3 Engines All 78-84 404.pdf

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should really try to keep engine related wiring questions to the engine forums, this forum is more for the accessories and general boat wiring of electronics, lights, pumps, stereos, etc. and engine and drive related wiring to the appropriate engine forum, rather IO or outboard.

It's hard to say what it was to begin with, everything else has been messed up, why would the wiring be any different. You need to trace that wire to where it ends on the other end. In the plug? if so which terminal.

Ok. Sorry about the forum address issue...should I traverse this over now? or continue? Thanks.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tan wire would may have been in the starter harness. It would have run just under the exhaust manifold, some wires split out of the harness for the alternator, and the tan wire (if for temp sender) would have went up the front of the block to the intake manifold or thermostat housing, where ever the temp sender was located.

Here is the wiring diagram for the 260, check the wire for continuity between the end of the wire and terminal 3 of the harness plug.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152154&stc=1&d=1339615290

View attachment 152154

I'm not pulling up anything when I click on it for the wiring diagram.

Got it!! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Don S

It should automatically download a .pdf file to your computer, you can also right click the link I added and download it to where you can find it.

I also moved the thread to the IO section.

It may be, that your tan wire is actually faded orange. I also think you have the black wire on the alternator in the wrong place. You now have a big time short.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It should automatically download a .pdf file to your computer, you can also right click the link I added and download it to where you can find it.

I also moved the thread to the IO section.

It may be, that your tan wire is actually faded orange. I also think you have the black wire on the alternator in the wrong place. You now have a big time short.

You're dead on because the battery drained overnight. Where would that black wire go to then?

Moving over as well. Thank you!

Don S

I already moved the thread over. You can't move them.

As far as where the black goes, take the alternator off and take a picture of it. can't see enough in your pics to tell.

You really need to disconnect the battery and figure your wiring out and get it sorted out and cleaned up before you burn something up. You are just randomly hooking things up without a clue as to where or why.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Darn wire looks tan, but may be faded orange. I'm guessing that the "tan" wire goes where the black is on the back of the alternator, but where would that black end up going... There is a short and drain on the battery with the key in "off" position and all accessories + toggles off as well.

Don S

I just posted at the same time as you, so look above your latest reply.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I already moved the thread over. You can't move them.

As far as where the black goes, take the alternator off and take a picture of it. can't see enough in your pics to tell.

You really need to disconnect the battery and figure your wiring out and get it sorted out and cleaned up before you burn something up. You are just randomly hooking things up without a clue as to where or why.

Got ya, I just meant I was moving over to make further replies. Here is the Motorola setup exactly...1096a.jpg

I disconnected it two days ago and haven't done anything until I get this wiring resolved absolutely.

Don S

But you don't have a Motorola alternator on there now??????????????

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the black wire going to the B+ output (which you said is causing a big-time short) , I cut the pigtail that had to wires, took the white (shown as purple) to EXC/IGNITION terminal and then the red to the other SENSE/BATTERY terminal. Ground screw -wire to a clean spot on the block.Motorola wiring setup.jpg

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But you don't have a Motorola alternator on there now??????????????

Yes. I do have a marine Motorola alternator. Took the automotive one off... Hang tight..I'll go snap a picture..