1988 Mercruiser 4.3l sea ray seville

woodrl

Cadet
I had a new impeller installed in the lower unit last season. I was trying to flush the antifreeze, but it didn't seem to be circulating. Does the motor have to be warmed up for the thermostat to open in order for it to circulate? I ran the motor for about 5 minutes with my resevoir attached while adding water. Thanks, woodrl

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Mercruiser 4.3l sea ray seville

"with my resevoir attached while adding water"

what does that mean, is the motor FWC and did you have water going into the outdrive when you were running it?

woodrl

Cadet

I have a winterizing resevoir that connects to the lower unit that holds the water while circulating the lake water out and the antifreeze in. I use it instead of the muffs. Thanks

cr2k

Captain

Yes you need to warm up the engine.

woodrl

Cadet

Thanks for responding. I am afraid to run the motor very long because I don't want to screw it up. I figures water should circulate out even when the motor first starts.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

You may want to look at section 14 of this winterization thread Don S posted and or the whole post for that matter.

It offers an alternate method of draining the engine by the provided plugs and then adding any antifreeze manually through the top.

I prefer this method as I feel its more foolproof & gives me pice of mind.

Here in VT we pay dearly for any errors with winterizing /antiifreeze.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430