Mercruiser 215e Shift Actuator Problem

Cthom5436

Cadet
Have twin Merc 215e on a Lazy Days Houseboat. Having problem with port engine. Shifts from neutral to reverse, but not from reverse to neutral or forward.

Live in Atlanta. Boat is at Lake Lanier. Many of us have the sames 215e setup. 3 of us have the shifting problem.

The part is not available, new or used. We are all wondering what are options are when the actuator goes bad.

Can the shift actuator be repaired ? If so, any information would be helpful

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 215e Shift Actuator Problem

i would think updating to a cable operated system would be better.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Most of us have 50' houseboats with a flybridge. Would consider changing system entirely, but would like to exhaust possibilities for fixing the electronic actuator.

Was hoping a newer electronic option was available. Not heard of any, thus, might try to rebuild.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Many years ago I experimented with using window motors or wiper motors. Never followed it thru to a working model.
Another option could be hyd. controls Hynautic? Some actually use regular A/F for the fluid.

Cthom5436

Cadet

Wanted to add an update. We decided fixing the actuator is the best option.

We pulled the actuator by removing the 6 wires, 2 hydraulic lines, shift cable, and 3 bolts. Before removing we rotated the actuator clutch to forward making re-installing simple.

We then split the housing. Had to use a heat gun to break the glued seal. Inside is an engineering marvel - lots of gears, cams, micro switches, and a motor. The motor is activated by 2 points, attached to 2 electro magnets.

We tested the motor by applying current. Reversed the current to test both ways. It worked fine.

We then tested using the shop manual instruction. There are 6 wires attached to 6 posts. Jump the first 2 that go to the sylenoid. Attach the 3rd/red to the battery wire. The last 3 are colored blue, green, orange. Spin the clutch to forward. Tap the blue with a ground. The clutch should spin. Ours did not.

We then cleaned the points and contacts on the micro switches. Had to adjust the points on one side to get contact.

We then tested and it worked. Again hook up the power to the red post. Ground the blue and it goes in reverse. Ground the orange and it goes forward.

There are 2 electro magnets that open/close the points. We cleaned the points. Adjusted one side.

Will be back at the boat this weekend. Will reinstall and see what happens.

teonajohn

Recruit
Hi Iam looking for the wire cable for my shift acuator mine is broken :( does anyone here know where to get one ?? Bs john

pops1940

Recruit
IF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR PARTS I MIGHT JUST HAVE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi Iam looking for the wire cable for my shift acuator mine is broken :( does anyone here know where to get one ?? Bs john
Hi there teonajohn, welcome to iboats!:)

Looks like those parts are going to be pretty difficult to find. Though it's a complete long shot, the tube may be available but not the wire. If the link works, see item number 26, http://www.marinepowerservice.com/Bo...um/pickyear/0/

PS, please see the "Help Tip" at the top of the forum page for information about bringing up past topics, thank you.:)

IF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING FOR PARTS I MIGHT JUST HAVE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR
Hi there pops1940, welcome to iboats and thanks for wanting to help out a fellow stranded boater.:)

Please know that even though your offer is very nice and helpful, the hosts of iboats would prefer that all offers for selling items be done behind the scenes by way of private messages only.

Thank you and good luck to the both of you.:) iboats Moderating team.