Very Hard Start... Fuel Issue...I think ?

Primo321

Seaman
Particulars 1969 Merc. 140 i/o Rebult in 2009, new starter, new alternator, new plugs/wires, no fuel filter ...

Boat has been starting hard and almost not at all at times, battery is good, starter is new, ehthonol turns the engine over and she runs perfect after that, but has had some real trouble starting on her own.

I'm thinking carb issue or maybe the points?

Where to go from here?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

B

cr2k

Captain
Re: Very Hard Start... Fuel Issue...I think ?

One of those two would be a place to start. Both easy to check. Is your choke working properly? Also with engine off pull the flame arrester look down the carb and have someone pump the throttle. Is there a good stream of fuel being squirted with each pump? If not this could be your problem. A bad accelerator pump. Time to rebuild the carb. Common problem.

Primo321

Seaman

Choke seems to be functioning properly. Once the boat is started it runs without a problem, not rough, good at idle, good acceleration. Inside of the carb is wed after priming the engine.

How could I diagnose if the points are the issue?

How much should I expect to pay for a carb rebuild?

I sincerely appreciate the insight.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Change the points,cap and rotor button... Cant be all that much.. plus you will eliminate that being the problem.

The carb rebuild kit is proly betwen $50 and $100 you could do it your self or take it off and have someone else do it.

Primo321

Seaman

points.jpg

good fuel is being shot out with each pump.

The points appear to be in great shape with no corrosion or pitting.

I want to check the GAP but am a complete rookie, anyone have a link to a DIY gap thread or video?

Thanks again.

B

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Back in the day we used a match book cover... the old school way....bump it till ya get the cam on the high side and points are open and slide the match book in to check gap.

I am sure you could do some goggling and get the info on yer motor.

By the way can i ask your procedure for starting your boat when its cold!

Primo321

Seaman

Boat usually cranks over when it's cold. I prime the engine with 4 pumps of the throttle And fire it up. My issue has been restarting the boat after its warm.

I have the specs from the manual the gap should be .020 but just not familiar with the process. Will get a gap tool and give it a shot tomorrow.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Ok....020... Take off dist cap,bump motor or pull plugs and turn by hand and watch the cam lobe on your dist... it will open the points, watch and get them at the right point,open fully... then use a feeler gauge and check the gap on the points, The feeler gauge should slide in with little resistance, if its sloppy then they are to wide,tight then they are to close. If you have to set them then loosen the little screw holding the points down in the dist and loosen it.... then there should be another screw next to it that you turn to adjust the gap. If it starts you will then have to set the timming and the dwell to specs.

Next time it is hard to start... take off your spark arestor (Air Cleaner) of carb and check to see if the choke plate is all the way open.. if it is closed then that is your problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From the picture, your points look corroded. Replace them. Use a feeler gauge to get close, but do the final setting of the points with a dwell meter. Then, after setting the points you have to reset the timing. Changing dwell changes the timing.
Then you need to make sure the idle mixture on the carb is adjusted when the engine is warm. Get everything adjusted properly and it should easily start when warm.

Might want to read this thread as well http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335302

Primo321

Seaman

So I decide to replace points with electronic ignition. When I do so will the timing and dwell still need to be set adjusted? Sorry for another newb question.

This response has been awesome thank you all!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't have to set dwell, since you won't have points, and yes you will need to reset timing.

Primo321

Seaman

Replaced he points with electronic ignition. turns over like a champ when cold, but now has started dying under power, and then has a hard time starting again. This after 20 minutes of running at 3/4 throttle. I let it cool down and then it finally kicked over Again and I was able to get Back to shore...since electronics seems to be eliminated can I assume this is a carb issue for certain?

Primo321

Seaman

Pulled the fuel filter on the pump. It is hard, old and decrepit. Im hoping that replacing this will solve the issue, it does seem that it should be something small like this since it runs so well for extended periods of time and then suddenly cuts out, but eventually turns back over and runs again....