Installing A Trim Gauge On A Mercruiser Alpha 1

chiselchst

Cadet
Greetings,<br /><br />I am new here, and had a question. I just picked up an '02 Bayliner 1950 classic, with a Mercruiser Alpha One. I noticed that it already has (I think?) the trim indication sender on it, on the right hand side of drive. But it does not have a trim gauge.<br /><br />I wanted to see if a trim gauge was easy to install, or if anyone knew the wiring colors and or locations?<br /><br />Any help appreciated...<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Mitch

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Installing A Trim Gauge On A Mercruiser Alpha 1

the sender is just a variable resistor.. part of the trim limit switch.. as u say the sender unit/switch is already fitted to the drive.. old senders had the wire connections detachable at the senders.. new ones i think come complete with permanent waterproof wires already in place..<br /><br />it will probably pay to buy a new sender unit as well as the dash gauge.. fit the pair.. <br /><br />sometimes only half the sender unit is there.. when a boat isnt fitted with a factory guage the wiper part can be missing..<br /><br />they also can be a bugger to get off.. the silly phillips screws sieze in the drive houseing and u have to smash the sender unit off and get a pair of self grip pliers on the screw to remove it.. even then the buggers can just snap off.. if they do u need to drill and tap some new screw holes and threads.. easy if u have the tools and know-how.. not so easy if u dont..<br /><br />trog

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The drive comes with the sender installed, and the wiring is already in the harness. All you need to do is buy a gauge, hook it up and adjust it.

chiselchst

Cadet

Don,<br /><br />I discovered the wire(s) are a white/brown, with the other end to ground. Should be easy to connect...<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Mitch

nelsonmr

Recruit

The drive comes with the sender installed, and the wiring is already in the harness. All you need to do is buy a gauge, hook it up and adjust it.

Don, I already have everything hooked up....however, my guage shows that the outdrive is always fully up....I would assume that means the sensor is bad? How do I replace that and where is the best place to buy the item for the best price? Thank you sir.

Bondo

Staff member

Don, I already have everything hooked up....however, my guage shows that the outdrive is always fully up....I would assume that means the sensor is bad? How do I replace that and where is the best place to buy the item for the best price? Thank you sir.

November 7th, 2005,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Unfortunately, Don won't be answerin' yer question,...
He passed away, oh, 'bout a month ago now,...

As was noted in the big red banner ya saw on this thread, before ya posted on it,...
Please post a thread of Yer own, with Yer boats info, 'n issues to get Good answers,...

Hy-jackin' this ole antique ain't gonna get ya any answers,...

Not from Don anyways,......

Last edited:

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know Bondo, if he poked around through Don's 62,000 posts, he may well find his answer from Don. Still miss him. Everytime I log in I see his online Oracle stroking that beard with those sticky posts.

nelsonmr

Recruit

I don't know Bondo, if he poked around through Don's 62,000 posts, he may well find his answer from Don. Still miss him. Everytime I log in I see his online Oracle stroking that beard with those sticky posts.
Sorry to hear about Don.
Will do as u asked. Wasn't trying to hijack the question...just thought my question was similar to the existing question. Thank you.