engine bogs down

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1993 rinker 260, with the 454 engine and the mercruiser out drive. Took it to the lake and it ran good at ideal and not bad at full throttle but seamed to bog down in between the two. any ideas why? The exhaust bellows came off of the outdrive do you think bellows being off had any effect ?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: engine bogs down

I have a 1993 rinker 260, with the 454 engine and the mercruiser out drive. Took it to the lake and it ran good at ideal and not bad at full throttle but seamed to bog down in between the two. any ideas why? The exhaust bellows came off of the outdrive do you think bellows being off had any effect ?

Naw,... I doubt the bellows is causin' it,...

When was it's last Tune Up, 'n Service,..?? sounds like a fuel issue..

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought the boat last winter so don't know about that. I have changed the oil and the gear lube in the out drive. and have the new fuel filter but need to put it in. also I understand there is a filter at the carb, need to look it up in the manual. I was thinking about the accelerator pump though.

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I took the boat to a mechanic.. He checked the fuel pump 6.+ psi. set the timing, then set the float level in the carb.found that the tach was bad sparking at the coil. so he disconnected the gray wire from the coil, said he thought that would fix it.. Took it to the lake same problem. What should i do next? Do you think it is a fuel or a ignition problem?

Bondo

Staff member

Well I took the boat to a mechanic.. He checked the fuel pump 6.+ psi. set the timing, then set the float level in the carb.found that the tach was bad sparking at the coil. so he disconnected the gray wire from the coil, said he thought that would fix it.. Took it to the lake same problem. What should i do next? Do you think it is a fuel or a ignition problem?

Ayuh,.... A Compression Test,... just to see what ya got to work with...

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I'll check the compression next. (hope that turns out good)... Just went out and started it up started good, ran at all rpm's both in and out of gear. The engine sounds good.. I'll post as soon as I check compression. Thank's

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

checked compression all good. took it to the lake it was still bogging down. came home changed spark plugs,wires,new coil,new carb. took it to the lake runs good at all rpm's, although it seems to be a little under powerd.... may need to change the prop. I'm also at 5000 feet above sea leavel. what do you think about the jets in the cab? Someone told me you don;t need to change them from the factory jets that came with the new carb, just change the prop. Your thoughts.