Hydrolock while running on plane?

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hydrolock while running on plane?

Thanks Rick, so you're also under the assumption that bad gas is the most likely culprit? Just wasn't sure if water in the gas could cause that kind of seizure. That was my initial thought but the pumping of all the gas and replacement didn't seem to do much, but there is a good chance I didn't get all the fluid out and need to remove and clean the tank. i think my first attempt (assuming it starts) is to run a few gallons on an aux tank after going through the steps haulnazz mentioned. if that is successful, hopefully just need to remove and clean the tank and be on my way!

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make sure you give a good cleaning to all of your electrical connections... battery, ignition, start circuit etc.

If you have questionable connection, additional heat introduced could cause an interruption in current. Could be why it goes away after a period of not operating.

Ive seen electric fuel pumps cut in and out from poor connections. Be especially suspicious here if it has any butt connectors from a pump change out.

Good luck! :)

AndrewsArk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Noticed nobody mentioned the ignition solenoid. Mine was bad and every now and then when I went to turn the key.. nothing. Is the starter clicking and trying to turn it over or is it just dead? Granted this wouldn't cause your engine to just stop but it's a thought on not starting again if there are more electrical things to figure out.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes sounds like starter is trying to turn motor over but can't, which is why I don't think electrical. Faulty circuit may cut the motor off, but does not seem like it would be such a hard shut down and then still allow the starter to engage at all.

haulnazz15

Captain

If the starter is failing or the starter solenoid is failing, it will not allow the starter to have the required voltage/amperage to function properly. Many times you will here it "bump" as it tries to engage, but the engine doesn't turn or turns very little. Can also be a symptom of a bad battery.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Rick, so you're also under the assumption that bad gas is the most likely culprit? Just wasn't sure if water in the gas could cause that kind of seizure.

No. water in the gas would only cause an engine to quit running suddenly.......

That's unrelated to the hydrolock. The "sudden " stoppage most likely caused the hydrolock.

Other things could have caused the sudden stoppage. Ignition, fuel, etc.

I also think someone else mentioned that you may need new exhaust shutters. They're supposed to (help) prevent hydrolock. But if they're burnt away or corroded open, they'll contribute to a hydrolock problem on shutdown when moving.

Yes sounds like starter is trying to turn motor over but can't, which is why I don't think electrical. Faulty circuit may cut the motor off, but does not seem like it would be such a hard shut down and then still allow the starter to engage at all.

If this was the problem when it initially quit, it was water in the cyls that prevented the engine from turning over with the starter.

If you removed the plugs and the engine now won't turn over with the starter, you have an additional problem with the starter or starting circuit.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Makes sense, so maybe electrical or bad gas causing the shutdown, and during shutdown it could ingest water if the shutters are bad and creating hyrdrolock at that point. all would have to happen quickly, will post some results as soon as i get a chance and thanks again for all the ideas

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

what is your battery voltage when trying to start and the motor wont turn over? if your motor is seized or hydrolocked, when you try to start, your creating a shunt thru the starter. your voltage should drop to nearly 6-7 volts, or if you have enough battery, you should smoke the cables at the starter.

bring a large wrench and socket along next time, pull the plugs, and try to turn the motor over by hand with a wrench from the front crank. if the motor turns over easy, its not a hydrolock or seized issue.

you have many reasons as to why your starter wont turn over:

if your starter motor hangs up, it will stay engaged when the engine is running. this will lead to a hot starter, which will not turn over when you try it.
you could have a weak starter motor which would be difficult to turn over when warm
you could have bad connections or a bad cable,
your ignition timing could be way off (really advanced), where the engine is fighting the starter

things to look at as to why your engine is stopping:
what is your voltage when running? if your battery is weak, and drops below 9 volts, your engine will stop
what is your oil pressure like when your running? I have had engines with weak oil pumps that will cause a seizure that would allow the engine to turn over a bit later. the engine did not last very long after that.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the boat Friday night, and mostly all bad news/findings. The engine oil looked clean, pulled all of the plugs, and nothing drained out. Tried to turn both by hand with a breaker bar and with the starter (just once) and got almost no movement. Wiggling by hand seemed to slightly turn over but with much resistance. Voltage was good on the battery also. I guess at this point I'm going in for major work, any suggestions on where to start? Thanks

TilliamWe

Banned

Remove the drive and make sure it's not the thing keeping you from turning the engine over.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the long delay in getting an update posted, but last weekend pulled the boat out of the water, and tried to turn the motor over by hand one more time just for fun - no luck. I pulled the outdrive off and then sure enough could turn the motor over by hand. What is strange to me is that i could put the drive in gear either way and propeller seemed to function correctly when spinning by hand, but i guess the driveshaft could be seized and a separate compartment? I guess the next step is to drain the oil and start disassembly of the outdrive? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry for the long delay in getting an update posted, but last weekend pulled the boat out of the water, and tried to turn the motor over by hand one more time just for fun - no luck. I pulled the outdrive off and then sure enough could turn the motor over by hand. What is strange to me is that i could put the drive in gear either way and propeller seemed to function correctly when spinning by hand, but i guess the driveshaft could be seized and a separate compartment? I guess the next step is to drain the oil and start disassembly of the outdrive? Thanks

Ayuh,... Ya should have already done that,... I expect you'll find water in the drive, 'n a pile of junk parts...

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like it's overheating and something in the ignition is either opening or going to ground. The starting problem could be from an overheated starter solenoid via heat transfer from the block. Although its a totally different animal, I had a 76 Vette that would do that. Next time it happens, tap the starter solenoid with a small ball peen hammer, just tap it a few times, don't smack it. If it starts, you've found your re-start problem.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Jlawsen,

Take another read of post #31 . . . it is not in the engine, the problem is in the drive ;)

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll proceed to splitting the outdrive and checking the oil, does the shifting success indicate that perhaps the lower unit is ok? also the bellows/gimbal/etc was replaced by the shop, could that work have anything to do with this? Thinking it would if they did not seal the upper portion correctly