Cold start problem. Accelerator pump stuck

Leosantanalg

Cadet
Hi guys
I m having problems with my 5.7 mercruiser. Hard to start cold. The carb is a quadrajet 4bbl. Not sure if is a weber or a Rochester. It has the mechanic choke.
I found out today that the accelerator pump is stuck in the down position and seized. The good news is: after the boat starts it runs like a champ and it will start again by just turning the key! When I pump it cold and look inside the carb is not filling it with gas. Where should I start? Is it worth to bother? I m afraid of messing up something that works well after started...

Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Cold start problem. Accelerator pump stuck

Rebuild the carb ....... you probably have corrosion from storage and not properly winterizing.

Be sure to get a marine rebuild kit for the carb.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If there is so much corrosion that the acc pump is stuck down, then it's likely the whole inside is a write-off... Pull it off and open it up... Make your decision then... You can't use it like it is, regardless of how well it starts and appears to run, the first time you open the throttle under load that engine is going to fall flat on it's face! Consider replacing it with an Edelbrock 1409... Oh, and Quadrajets are (was) made by Rochester... The Weber 4bbl is a knock-off of the Carter AFB...(and looks EXACTLY like the Edelbrock 1409 :D)

Chris.....

Leosantanalg

Cadet

If there is so much corrosion that the acc pump is stuck down, then it's likely the whole inside is a write-off... Pull it off and open it up... Make your decision then... You can't use it like it is, regardless of how well it starts and appears to run, the first time you open the throttle under load that engine is going to fall flat on it's face! Consider replacing it with an Edelbrock 1409... Oh, and Quadrajets are (was) made by Rochester... The Weber 4bbl is a knock-off of the Carter AFB...(and looks EXACTLY like the Edelbrock 1409 :D)

Chris.....

Thanks so much! I took it for a ride today! I had to start it with a squirt of starting fluid but once again after it gets running I have no problems even with re starting! It runs wide open with 4 passengers very smoothly my thoughts are to replace the hole carb! The guy that I bought the boat from did not winterized this boat last winter. I m lucky was a hot winter down in the city but is very unfortunate. Do you think I m in danger of getting stuck in the middle of the lake? What does it do to the carb when it stays in the down position all the time. Thanks for your answer

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...What does it do to the carb when it stays in the down position all the time. ..

Nothing, it just doesn't give a squirt of fuel on acceleration... Did you find that you had to accelerate very slowly off idle? If you tried to accelerate too fast it would hesitate?

Chris.......