How do you tune-up 1997 Alpha One 5.7L v8?

rickstuntebeck

Recruit
This is my first boat. how do I tune up my 1997 Sea Ray 210BR (open bow) 5.7L v8 (210) hp. engine.

My marina said it runs rough and needs a tune-up. It has been getting hard to start after it warms up.
I have to let it wait 5-20 minutes if it does not start.

I do the standard starting procedure. 1.) Push in the neutral button. 2.) Push the throttle all the way down. 3.) Pull it back to 1/4 throttle then start. It runs but dies out.

What parts do I need for the tune up?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Rick S.
Mpls, MN

cr2k

Captain
Re: How do you tune-up 1997 Alpha One 5.7L v8?

1. Take to marine mechanic
2. open wallet

If you are asking this question there is probably not enough space to tell you all you need to know.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

cr2K DID NOT give you a smart answer,just the right one.
You need to have a mechanic look at your motor to see what is wrong and advise you on the correct repair, then you decide if your capable of doing the repair. hard starting when hot can be a multitude of causes, not just a tune up.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Basic engine tune up parts would include cap, rotor, spark plugs, fuel filters and/or water separating filter cartrige if you have one. If you haven't, change the oil and filter. Inspect the plug wires for age/wear/rubbing on engine and replace the set if cracked worn or old. Clean spark arrestor. It does sound like you may have another issue from your discription, but the basic engine tune up is where to start if it hasn;t been done this season. Of course this doesn;t cover any of the outdrive maintenance.

rickstuntebeck

Recruit

1. Take to marine mechanic
2. open wallet

If you are asking this question there is probably not enough space to tell you all you need to know.

I did and the tune-up will be $120 for parts, and $100 for labor. with guarentee.

So this is my first time, I think it will be best.