HELP...3.7L motor runs fine for about 30 minutes then bogs out and dies????

AKFISHRIPPER

Cadet
Re: HELP...3.7L motor runs fine for about 30 minutes then bogs out and dies????

I did it all by ear and I used a gap checker to set the pionts.

When you changed the points, did you set the points using a dwell meter, THEN set the timing with a timing light? or are you doing all this by ear?

AKFISHRIPPER

Cadet

I replaced the accelerator pump last night and it had a hard time starting almost like it was flooded, and then when it finally started it ran like crap and kept bogging out and died. I made sure to measure and adjust the float level correctly along with the idle needle adjustment so I have no clue what it is now??? I'm going to rent a dwell meter from NAPA today and set it correctly and if that doesn't work I'm taking it in.

Did you put the clip on the needle valve to the float arm correctly? (not thru the hole) If it's not on right it won't seat and won't shut off fuel when the float rises.

Attachments

• Copy_of_roch9.jpg
    Copy_of_roch9.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1

AKFISHRIPPER

Cadet

Did you put the clip on the needle valve to the float arm correctly? (not thru the hole) If it's not on right it won't seat and won't shut off fuel when the float rises.

I don't have that style carb, I have the Mercarb and I don't have a clip on my needle. The resistance wire from the slave to the coil fixed the ignition problem but after running the boat for 30 minutes at 3000 RPM it bogged out and died. I have replaced everything short of the voltage regulator...???????? I can run the boat at about 1500-2000 rpm all day but as soon as I run it at or above 3000 for 30 minutes or so it will continuously bog out and die.