Won't start when hot

fjefman

Recruit
Gents,

First time posting, good to be part of the group. I have a problem with my engine that is really starting to irritade me to the point where I don't want to go boating anymore. I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions as to how to fix my issue.

I have a 1983 Ebbtide Catelina with a Mercruiser 305cc V8 and SE106 Outdrive. I'm the second owner of the boat and in the past 2 years have have completed a lot of maintenance on the engine to include cleaning the carb, replacing fuel pump, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires. The engine usually starts in less than 5 seconds even after sitting for a3-4 weeks at a time. When she hasn't been run in while she usually has a slight hickup when putting down the throttle after the long "no wake" zone at the marina. Othewise she runs great and I have no issues.

The problem is that when the engine is hot and I turn her off she will not start again until she has cooled a bit...at least 15 minutes or so. To clarify, I can turn the engine off and immediately try to restart and get nothing. The engine will turn over fine, but won't catch at all.

I'm good with small engines (motorcycles, yard equip) but not to familiar with boat/car engines but to me this seems like an electrical problem. I say this because when running the carburation is perfect...no issues at all. And she will run and idle perfectly...just doesn't want to start when hot.

I've been told that this engine possible has a "points type" distributor and isn't fully electronic? Can anybody confirm? If so, bad points, condensor or coil could cause this issue, right?

Can I change this type of distributor out with one with an ignition module?

What else should I be looking at? Thanks,

Jeff

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Won't start when hot

Gents,

First time posting, good to be part of the group. I have a problem with my engine that is really starting to irritade me to the point where I don't want to go boating anymore. I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions as to how to fix my issue.

I have a 1983 Ebbtide Catelina with a Mercruiser 305cc V8 and SE106 Outdrive. I'm the second owner of the boat and in the past 2 years have have completed a lot of maintenance on the engine to include cleaning the carb, replacing fuel pump, distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires. The engine usually starts in less than 5 seconds even after sitting for a3-4 weeks at a time. When she hasn't been run in while she usually has a slight hickup when putting down the throttle after the long "no wake" zone at the marina. Othewise she runs great and I have no issues.

The problem is that when the engine is hot and I turn her off she will not start again until she has cooled a bit...at least 15 minutes or so. To clarify, I can turn the engine off and immediately try to restart and get nothing. The engine will turn over fine, but won't catch at all.

I'm good with small engines (motorcycles, yard equip) but not to familiar with boat/car engines but to me this seems like an electrical problem. I say this because when running the carburation is perfect...no issues at all. And she will run and idle perfectly...just doesn't want to start when hot.

I've been told that this engine possible has a "points type" distributor and isn't fully electronic? Can anybody confirm? If so, bad points, condensor or coil could cause this issue, right?

Can I change this type of distributor out with one with an ignition module?

What else should I be looking at? Thanks,

Jeff

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Lift the cap, 'n LOOK...

Are ya givin' it Any throttle on these failed Restarts,..??

fjefman

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Lift the cap, 'n LOOK...

Are ya givin' it Any throttle on these failed Restarts,..??

Ha, an obvious tip, thx. As I mentioned I'm good with small engines but not with large ones...I've never looked inside a distributor until yesterday so I didn't know what I should be looking at. I took some pics and sent to a friend who confirmed it is not a points ignition. Either way the electronic module in the distributor looks quite worn and old so I'll go to the shop and looks at replacing that as well as the coil with the hope of fixing the issue, or as preventative maintenance.

Do the other question...no throttle, lots throttle, little throttle, pumping throttle...no change in the engine response...earlier in the year when this happened I even sprayed some starting fluid down the carb throat and it didn't make a difference. Hence my thinking that this is an electrical issue...I just don't know what electrical part could cause this.

Am I off base? What should I check or replace in the search of finding a solution?

Jeff

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Could be the coil breaking down when it gets hot. Check for spark during the no-start condition.

Could be the fuel line is routed close to the exhaust manifold causing vapor lock or could be that you need a spacer below the carb to keep the fuel in the bowl from causing a vapor lock. Check for fuel spray in carb when operating the throttle during the no-start condition.

fjefman

Recruit

Gents,

In an effort to put closure to this thread I wanted to tell you about the current status of my boat.

I never could narrow down if my no-hot start issue was related to coil or ignition pickup so I replaced them both...and it fixed all my issues. The boat starts easier and more quickly than any time since I've owned it. Even when she has been running hard for some time I can turn her off and she starts right back up. I am very pleased.

So, problem solved, thanks to all of those who responded to this thread and lead me down this path.

Jeff

Bondo

Staff member

Gents,

In an effort to put closure to this thread I wanted to tell you about the current status of my boat.

I never could narrow down if my no-hot start issue was related to coil or ignition pickup so I replaced them both...and it fixed all my issues. The boat starts easier and more quickly than any time since I've owned it. Even when she has been running hard for some time I can turn her off and she starts right back up. I am very pleased.

So, problem solved, thanks to all of those who responded to this thread and lead me down this path.

Jeff

Ayuh,.... Yer Welcome Jeff, 'n Thanks for stoppin' by to say so....

Sorry We couldn't have been more help,... ;)

fjefman

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Yer Welcome Jeff, 'n Thanks for stoppin' by to say so....

Sorry We couldn't have been more help,... ;)

Sorry if this didn't come across in my last post, but my point is that you guys did help and thanks. The comments on the coil and ignition module is what led me to replace both since they are 29 years old. I might have gotten there eventually, but this forum led me right to the issue.

Again, thanks,

Jeff