No Spark '84 Mercruiser 120 i/o Ignition Coil Question

84advantage

Recruit
Hi All,
I have learned a ton reading all the posts and wanted to thank everybody for the great information. I have searched for an answer to my question as best as I was able, but I am still at a loss.

I have an 1984 Advantage bowrider runabout with a Mercruiser 120 hp (4 cyclinder) i/o, serial number: 6703536.

It was running pretty good when I winterized it last fall, but I can't get a spark this spring. It turns over. I can see and smell fresh fuel in the carb. I pulled the plugs and they look fairly clean, but a little 'cold fouled' (light black deposit).

With a plug out and grounded against the engine block I cranked the engine over and saw no spark (tried with 2 different plugs).

As suggested in other threads I disconnected the grey wire on the negative terminal of the ignition coil and checked again for a spark when cranking the engine over. Still no spark.

I then checked the voltage to and from the ignition coil with the key in the run position:
-With one wire of the multi-meter on the positive terminal and the other grounded I get 10.9 volts.
-With one wire of the multi-meter on the lead out of the ignition coil (to the distributor) I get 11 volts.
-With one wire of the multi-meter on the negative terminal and the other grounded I get 11 volts. (that surprised me!?)

Next step according to the Flow Chart would be to:
"Remove Hi-Tension Lead from the Dist. to Coil. Insert a Spark Gap from Coil Tower to Ground. Remove WHT/GRN Lead from Dist. Terminal - Ignition Key in Run Position. Strike the Terminal on the WHT/GRN Lead against the ground.

I don't see any WHT/GRN Lead on my distributor. I have attacked pictures below.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

IgnitionCoil&Distributor.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: No Spark '84 Mercruiser 120 i/o Ignition Coil Question

You have a points ignition system and you're reading the fault finding for a digital system... No spark from a points system after winterizing is usually the points themselves.... The 12 volts you see at the negative side of the coil indicates the points were open when you tested... Or (as is the case here) mechanically closed but not electrically closed... .The point faces get a layer of corrosion on them and current can't flow.... and you can't see it!

Chris......

84advantage

Recruit

The point faces get a layer of corrosion on them and current can't flow.... and you can't see it!

Chris......

Thanks, Chris! I looked at the points and they looked clean, but I will check those next!!

Steve

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

cant tell by looking at the "glazed points" try running some fine sandpaper thru them for testing and then replace them.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Often running a piece of newspaper between them (NOT a file or emery) can get them going again, but that is a temporary solution...

84advantage

Recruit

Often running a piece of newspaper between them (NOT a file or emery) can get them going again, but that is a temporary solution...

Chris, Bt Doc, Thank you!!!!!!!

I used some newspaper, and then paper board (because they were in an open position) with a little window cleaner between the points tonight, and....that wonderful sound came back to life on the first crank!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!

Now on to the fuel gauge (also went dead over the winter) which so far hasn't been 'cured' following Silvertip's diagrams. But that is for another thread after I do some more diagnostics.

You guys ROCK!

Thanks!
Steve