Mercruiser Power Trim clicks, won't budge

1976 140HP MerCruiser I/O -- we've now replaced the slave solenoid to get it started, it's throttling, new bilge pump and switch, almost ready for the lake.

Current problem: The power trim solenoid clicks, but nothing's happening. We replaced the solenoid this morning, but maybe something's not wired correctly? We weren't even getting a click before replacing it. Is there a way to find a bad connection like we used on the slave/starter solenoids?

Suggestions? All help appreciated! This forum has gotten us through all our repairs so far.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Power Trim clicks, won't budge

Do you have one or two solenoids on your trim pump?

Best I can tell between the manual and looking, one solenoid. Would they be right there together if there were two?

Don S

In the drawing below, make sure you have battery voltage at the solenoid by checking with your volt meter at the connections shown going to the battery.

trim wiring.jpg

We have voltage at the solenoid where the diagram indicates. Also used meter to check other wires/plug, and all seem to be working. Clicks but pump motor won't engage.

Don S

Put the shifter in forward, then disconnect the trim motor and hook the green or blue to the battery postive post and the black to negative post and see if the motor will run buy itself.

While I was responding, a less traditional approach was tried -- in frustration somebody knocked the top of the pump motor. Apparently it was seized up because when we tried it again the motor started humming. Refilled the oil, and everything appears to be in good working order.

We're headed to the lake today and greatly appreciate all your help making it happen! I'm sure we'll have more questions in the future will definitely be back on this forum.

Thanks!

Something happens every time I come to the computer. It worked, we let it rest for a few minutes after filling the oil, and now it doesn't work. We're trying what you said in your last post Don S., but I'm guessing it's the motor?

Okay, we connected everything like you said, and the pump motor did not run on it's own. It was all working and after letting it rest, we can't get the pump motor to run again.

Don S

Okay, we connected everything like you said, and the pump motor did not run on it's own.

I figured that would happen. The motor is probably all corroded inside. New motor is what you need.

That's what we thought. Any way to clean this one or lost cause?