Need to winterize mercruiser 4.3 I/O, manuals are waterlogged

halfawake

Recruit
I just purchased a boat. Not familiar with the motors. Manuals were water logged. Is there a way I can winterize the motor, being a newbee not familiar with technical terms or engines, or is there a manual or book to get? Any information would be helpful.<br />Thanks

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need to winterize mercruiser 4.3 I/O, manuals are waterlogged

Since you say you are a newbie, do a search on this forum for winterize. There have been a lot of postings with recomendations for what to do to winterize your boat. <br /><br />A good winterize procedure includes a lot of things, many of which are not specific to any particular engine. (change oil, fog engine, store cushions where they will not grow mildew, pull battery to keep charged, etc.)<br /><br /><br />Regarding questions specific to your engine can you give us details. What model boat, model engine, model drive, etc. For example, I have a 1988 Chapparrel model 198XL with a 5.0L GM engine and an OMC sterndrive.

halfawake

Recruit

Thank you for your reply. say the drains are on this engine. I see the hoses, in which they speak of,<br />I have a 2000 bayliner with a I/O 4.3 mercruiser, V6 engine. I did check the forum, but as mentioned, I do not know much about where they say the drains are on this engine. I see the hoses, in which they speak of. I was wondering where the drains are or if there is a particuliar book or webpage that would help. I checked Mercury engines but I thought that I could get a head start before shipping.<br />Thanks

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about your particular engine but on mine...I have 4 plugs total -2 plugs on the engine block located below spark plugs (one on each side) and 2 more located on the exhaust manifolds (one on each manifold).<br /><br />My plugs look like this one - http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...n plug&**********=291128300&*******=357039469 <br /><br />You should be able to locate them...they may have been painted the same color of engine block...<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />-JMW

skiriver

Cadet

Just a suggestion, go to eBay. You should be able to find a factory manual for your application. You may not find a book that covers just your year and model. You may end up buying a manual that covers multiple engines and drives. No problem, just some additional knowledge that may come in handy. It's hard to beat an original factory service manual. Whatever you do, I'd stay away from any of the "non-factory" manuals available from people like Sealoc and Clymer. They just don't cover the subjects in as much detail as the factory. I don't think the explanations, drawings, wiring diagrams, etc. are as complete, or as clear. Although, you will find plenty of them for sale on eBay! Hope this helps.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Can you dry your manuals out? Otherwise get some new ones.We can help here,but I hate to see you go wrong thru a mis-translation.<br /><br />I say this because you say the boat is new to you,and you are not familiar with engines.Are they twin engines,or do you only have one engine ?<br /><br />I hate to see new boat owners winterize wrong.<br /><br />DHP