running great then grinding out of gear??

tforston6077

Recruit
today i was up on plane in my 1978 formula 255, doing a test run on my new boat, i was doing about 4500 rpms and everything was fine, then the first wave a hit (not big) spun my rpms up as if i hit an air pocket so i pulled it back to neutral and a grinding noise occurs, sounds like its coming from behind the engine or so, even in neutral it makes the grinding noise, so i got towed in and havent touched it, could this be a linkage adjustment or clutch dog maybe? thanks in advance for the help im a newbie

rickryder

Commander
Re: running great then grinding out of gear??

Only way to know for sure is to pull the drive and start checking..... Have you checked the oil level in the drive?...... I had the same noise and found it to be the gears in the upper unit fried.... Good Luck!

tforston6077

Recruit

Only way to know for sure is to pull the drive and start checking..... Have you checked the oil level in the drive?...... I had the same noise and found it to be the gears in the upper unit fried.... Good Luck!

Thanks I did check oil no shavings oil is full, I don't really have time to do this job might take it to a mechanic but can never trust some of them. Hopefully not to expensive

Bondo

Staff member

today i was up on plane in my 1978 formula 255, doing a test run on my new boat, i was doing about 4500 rpms and everything was fine, then the first wave a hit (not big) spun my rpms up as if i hit an air pocket so i pulled it back to neutral and a grinding noise occurs, sounds like its coming from behind the engine or so, even in neutral it makes the grinding noise, so i got towed in and havent touched it, could this be a linkage adjustment or clutch dog maybe? thanks in advance for the help im a newbie

Ayuh,.... My Guess is, ya wore the splines out in the coupler, from a lack of Grease, 'n/ or bad alignment....