Decayed Wires on a 140hp Mercruiser. Any clue what they go to?

My girlfriend and I just purchased a 1976 VIP inboard/outboard speed boat to fix up and hopefully get out on the water this summer.

The boat wont start it just makes a singular "Click" when I try and turn it. After running a few test I think it may be a connection issue or the silinoid. I was able to bypass the silinoid by connecting battery to the starter, I heard the starter crank but the engine didn't turn. I was able to hand turn the engine so I know the engine isn't seized up.

Since I am going to fix her up I decided to start checking the electrical in he boat. Many wires in the boat are badly decayed and I am in the process of trying to replace what I can, which leads to my question. Anyclue what these wires are?
4 Wires.jpg

Re: Decayed Wires on a 140hp Mercruiser. Any clue what they go to?

They look like they go to the trim or something, but I have no clue what I am talking about. Luckily I havent electrocuted myself yet! :D

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you only get click from the starter and can turn the engine by hand,
you have 1: a bad starter , 2: corroded cables against battary pole or against the starter and ground could be both.
3:Bad battery , you might have 12.7V and still have bad capacity. I think i covered the most common starter "click" faults

Thanks Guys I will read that thread a couple of times and get back out there!

We replaced the slave solenoid and got it running beautifully! Thanks for all the help.

Now, on to the trim. Is there a good diagram where I can see the trim sender and the trim limit switch to get it rewired?

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

glad to hear you got a 1976 running with little ease i wish mine was one year newer lol