86 mercarb 2 bbl rebuild kit questions

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
My 1500th post- yippie skippie...:p
ANYHOW...:confused:
Gettn ready to order a carb rebuilt kit. Not 100% sure which accel pump plunger I have. I believe I have the older straight one, bottom fill, [Then I come up w part num 3302-804485] for the kit. But wondering if I possibly the newer one w a 90 deg bend in it. How do I know for sure before disassembley? The num on carb tag is MCM 185 3304-9353 ...num stamped on side of carb also has 5301. Some app chart for carb kits have an-A-2 after the carb num. What does that mean? Mine doesn't. I am surprised no rebuild kits come with a new float. I would think standard procedure would suggest replacement. Even if the old one weighed 9 grams. Has anyone had specific bad luck w aftermarket ...say Sierra kits ? Engine ser num A539369. Any words of advise from anyone thats recently rebuilt one ? :eek: Thx alll!!! Paul:D

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 86 mercarb 2 bbl rebuild kit questions

Never used anything Siera but have ordered a universal kit from aftermarketmarine.com and the kit was made by webber and everything in the kit fit and has worked flawlessly for 2 years now.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys. I may very well go with the one w both plungers and needles. I just wasnt sure if i wanted to wait days for delivery, was thnkn NAPA today. Smoedog, i assume you have installed the kit and it works fine. thx

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used the universal kit. Only thing is the parts they send are in little bags. You would assume each bag would have sister parts together, but in my case they seemed to just throw the stuff in there. For a pro carb rebuilder its not a problem, but since I had never rebuilt one it made it a pain.

I used this site a lot to just get more familiar with the rebuild.
http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Mercarb_Carburetor_Kit_p/529.htm

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I think I have it figured out. Gonna order a sierra kit here on I boats and have at it... Thazx

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya that kit I linked had everything I needed and worked great. Boat runs 10 times better.