Gimbal bearing replacement. Just the bearing insert vs bearing and housing.

matthysone

Seaman Apprentice
Anybody want to weigh in on the reasoning to replace the entire gimbal bearing housing requiring a puller versus just replacing just the bearing insert? On my pre-alpha (MR1 ?) I can reach through the bellows, with some tools for leverage, and rotate the bearing on its outer race to the cut away slots on the gimbal bearing housing, allowing the bearing to drop out. New bearing goes back in in reverse order. Total time 15 minutes. Plus you don't have to worry about properly driving the new housing back in straight. I imagine one concern may be the seal condition in front of the bearing?

matthysone

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gimbal bearing replacement. Just the bearing insert vs bearing and housing.

Thanks for the link Mark.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

On the seal part of the question - that's no big deal. It's my understanding that it is really more of a dust seal than anything else.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I agree the seal is to keep extra grease from lubing the bearing from migrating up the driveshaft, and more importantly (IMHO) it would slow the water flow into the boat, should the driveshaft bellows fail.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

stony, there are 2 holes in the housing before the seal, so slowing the water should not happen
the very early merc manuals (1970`s)had you replace just the bearing IF it had not spun in the tolerance ring. the reason it was changed was because people never lined up the grease hole in the bearing with the grease groove in the tolerance ring.if the bearing was installed reversed, no grease would get into the bearing and it would fail in a short time.Using a drift to move the bearing sideways for removal also increases the risk of a wrong hit damaging the tolerance ring.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the correct information.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hey Terry,

Have a read of this Merc service bulletin... It should clear this question up once and for all....

View attachment 85_26.pdf

Chris..........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Selectivley fitted, ya right.