Linkage issue with Pics

TheNoachSHO

Cadet
I've noticed an issue with my throttle linkage. I have a 09 Bayliner 175 with the 3.0 and I've found my linkage apart as seen circle in the image. First what does this part of the linkage do? Second, why is it coming apart (does it in reverse, I know this but why is it possible in the first place?) Third, can I just take it off or is it needed for something i'm not seeing. I notch from time to time my throttle can be tough and i'm afraid of it doing damage to the coil or associated wiring. Does anyone have any insight?

Linkage 1.jpgLinkage 2.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Linkage issue with Pics

Not sure why it is coming apart, but it is simply a spring loaded assist. It is supposed to help you come back to neutral is my understanding. It will cause no problems if you want to remove it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's coming apart because it's broken. It is also needed for the shift interrup system to work properly.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It is also needed for the shift interrup system to work properly.

Don, I'm not that familiar with the set up... but how is that related to the shift interrupt? Not saying it isn't - just curious.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a spring loaded assist as you mentiond. It just picks up the slack and makes things work quicker and better.

TheNoachSHO

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, I didn't see any springs or such broken or sitting in the bilge. Might explain why it's hard to move at times.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you want to buy a new one, I believe the part# is 813995A1. Wherever Mercruiser parts are sold. ;)