Boat ideling hot but running cool when on plane please help

TommyVegas

Recruit
I have a 1981 22" Nordic mini day cruiser with a merc 260 I/O with a Alpha One out drive when I was leaving the marina in the no wake zone cruising at wake less speed the temp went up over 200 way too hot, so I got it up to higher RPM and out of the marina the temp dropped quick, can someone please help.... what is the problem? I'm pretty new to working on outdrives. ( ANY LINKS TO SUBJECT MATERIAL ARE APPRECIATED ) thank you for your answers and time.

TommyVegas

2kjs

Cadet
Re: Boat ideling hot but running cool when on plane please help

Your raw water impellar in the outdrive is shot, when the fins wear down it cant pump enough water at idle to cool the engine, at higher rpm's it does, barely. Its about $50 for a new impellar kit i think. Preatty easy fix with the alpha 1, you have to split the upper/lower halves of the outdrive to access the pump.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1981 22" Nordic mini day cruiser with a merc 260 I/O with a Alpha One out drive when I was leaving the marina in the no wake zone cruising at wake less speed the temp went up over 200 way too hot, so I got it up to higher RPM and out of the marina the temp dropped quick, can someone please help.... what is the problem? I'm pretty new to working on outdrives. ( ANY LINKS TO SUBJECT MATERIAL ARE APPRECIATED ) thank you for your answers and time.

TommyVegas

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Lotsa links to Lotsa Info up in the Adults Only section, at the top of this forum...

For yer Overheat problem, Change the Impeller in the drive...

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Just as a heads up, I've had problems with aftermarket impellers not pumping at idle too. I've never had a problem with Merc(QuickSilver) parts though.

TommyVegas

Recruit

Thanks guys was an easy fix, and I did use merc (quicksilver) impeller kit, it was 50$. The replacement gear oil was 30$ super cool 80$ all together. DIYS all day...

TVegas