• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Water in Cylinders - Bad Manifold?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Cylinders - Bad Manifold?

1989 OMC with Chevy 4.3 V6 - I have read many topics on the "water in cylinders" problem (which I have). I have also posted a few questions and received helpful responses. Many people suggest that bad exhaust manifolds and elbows could be the potential problem in addition to a blown head gasket. Can someone explain the theory behind how a bad exhaust manifold could leak water into the cylinders? My OMC manifolds are 1 piece meaning that the design combines the function of the manifold and elbow into 1 piece. Inside this part, I assume there are four passageways - 3 for the exhaust gases and 1 for the water. How could the water get into the gas passageways if they are seperate? Even if it did get in through a crack, wouldn't the pressure from the gases blow it out? In addition, some have called to question the exhaust manifold gasket. If this gasket just seals the gases, how could a problem with the exhaust manifold gasket ever lead to water in the cylinder? ...unless maybe condensation or water sprayed over the manifold...

Re: Water in Cylinders - Bad Manifold?

The cast iron between the ex gas section and the water cooling passage can rust through, and when you shut off the motor the seawater can flow in thru an open exhaust valve. If you are in salt water they are way over due for replacement. I replaced my one piece OMC units the year a couple of years after I got the boat because I had no idea how long they were used in salt water. I was not having any problems and they still looked good but they were then 16 years old! This boat was from the midwest originally so most of the use was freshwater. I plan to take them off every 4 years and check the exhaust and water passages, when you start to see flaking rust it is time. Most say 4-5 years in salt is the limit. Those may not be available from Bombardier any longer, doug russell marine in Mass may have em, I got a spare pair from them last winter. There is a place in Washington State (Sea Way Marine) that sells a conversion kit so you can use the Merc V-6 manifolds and regular risers.
    1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

You have the "batwing" style manifolds. The manifold and the riser were built into one piece eliminating the riser gasket.Basically, you have an exhaust manifold that is surrounded by a water jacket. Water is pumped through the jackets cooling the exhaust manifold, making it safe to be enclosed in a boat setting.Water intrusion into a cylinder can be caused by a number of circumstances. An exhaust manifold with a rusted out water jacket is the most likely source. If yours are original, I would suspect that is where it's coming from, but you should troble shoot it first.Read THIS
      sigpicIf it were easy, any Caveman could do it.

Comment

Thanks! My auto mechanic/friend told me that even if water inside the manifold leaked from the water jacket into the manifold, the pressure from the exhaust gas would blow it away from the engine and not let it back into the cylinders. Is this true? If not, why?Could water ever run through the exhaust manifold without the engine running? If so, there's the answer I guess...

Comment

That's the answer.....Esp ecially on any valve is on the intake or exhaust stroke....JK
          Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Comment

Could water ever run through the exhaust manifold without the engine running? If so, there's the answer I guess...
            It's not so much as the water running thru the manifolds without the engine running,.........It's the water that's left Sitting Inside the manifold when the engine is turned Off,.........It runs thru the Cracks, Into the cylinders,.. Pass the Rings,+ Into the oil pan,.........
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

PS.... Keep your "auto mechanic" friend away from your boat engine. Other than the basics of what makes engines run, that is as close as these motors come to being alike. Taking his advise in this matter will cost you your motor. If you are in salt water, and you are not doing anything to get rid of the intrusion, your motor may have already suffered irreaparable harm.

Comment

Thanks KaGee - I'll tell him what you said and then give him a good slap upside the head I have already purged the water and oiled the cylinders through the spark plug hole. I am also (probably tonight) using engine flush and then changing the oil.

Comment

Oil change is a good idea. Those "batwings" are hard to test. But, I'll bet if you pulled the one on the cylinders that had water, you would see evidence of water in the exhaust port.Good luck in finding your problem.

Comment

I did and I did...two of the three ports had minor surface rust.

Comment

Originally posted by boatgrunt: 1989 OMC with Chevy 4.3 V6 - I have read many topics on the "water in cylinders" problem (which I have). I have also posted a few questions and received helpful responses. Many people suggest that bad exhaust manifolds and elbows could be the potential problem in addition to a blown head gasket. Can someone explain the theory behind how a bad exhaust manifold could leak water into the cylinders? My OMC manifolds are 1 piece meaning that the design combines the function of the manifold and elbow into 1 piece. Inside this part, I assume there are four passageways - 3 for the exhaust gases and 1 for the water. How could the water get into the gas passageways if they are seperate? Even if it did get in through a crack, wouldn't the pressure from the gases blow it out? In addition, some have called to question the exhaust manifold gasket. If this gasket just seals the gases, how could a problem with the exhaust manifold gasket ever lead to water in the cylinder? ...unless maybe condensation or water sprayed over the manifold...

Comment

Originally posted by Czechmate:
                        Originally posted by boatgrunt: 1989 OMC with Chevy 4.3 V6 - I have read many topics on the "water in cylinders" problem (which I have). I have also posted a few questions and received helpful responses. Many people suggest that bad exhaust manifolds and elbows could be the potential problem in addition to a blown head gasket. Can someone explain the theory behind how a bad exhaust manifold could leak water into the cylinders? My OMC manifolds are 1 piece meaning that the design combines the function of the manifold and elbow into 1 piece. Inside this part, I assume there are four passageways - 3 for the exhaust gases and 1 for the water. How could the water get into the gas passageways if they are seperate? Even if it did get in through a crack, wouldn't the pressure from the gases blow it out? In addition, some have called to question the exhaust manifold gasket. If this gasket just seals the gases, how could a problem with the exhaust manifold gasket ever lead to water in the cylinder? ...unless maybe condensation or water sprayed over the manifold...
                        Since you NEVER know when the time is up for your cast iron manifolds, the best insurance against rusted cylinders is to take out the spark plugs when you winterize yor motor. I learned this the hard way. I have drained the block for winter in October, but the water leaked to all cylinders 2 months prior to it. Than I did not use the boat 3 years. Now I am replacing engine. So there may be 5 places to drain , but also 8 spark plugs to take out!!

Comment

Czeckmate, not sure where you are going with taking the spark plugs out....If you take them out and leave them out you will risk ( no, get)moisture intrusion. If the water leaked in two months prior to your winterization, then it was already a done deal. ..Please elaborate....& welcome to the forum at Iboats. ....JK

Comment

...maybe he stored it indoors? Thanks for saying something JK - it sounded like a good idea (and it may be in certain situations), but I was about to run home and pull them for the winter; however, I store my boat outdoors, so to your point, I probably would have ruined my engine.

Comment

Leaving the plugs out for any length of time regardless of the surroundings is never a good idea. ....JK

Comment

Working...
                              X