1989 Regal 185 Mercruiser starter solenoid?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Regal 185 Mercruiser starter solenoid?

OK, with the ignition off try this: On the slave jumper between the large terminal with the red wire and the small terminal with the r/y wire from the switch. The solenoid should click, you should have 12V on the on the large r/y terminal and the starter should turn. Make sure that the large r/y wire is connecter to the s terminal of the starter.

dowtom

Seaman

OK, with the ignition off try this: On the slave jumper between the large terminal with the red wire and the small terminal with the r/y wire from the switch. The solenoid should click, you should have 12V on the on the large r/y terminal and the starter should turn. Make sure that the large r/y wire is connecter to the s terminal of the starter.

Ok wife came home so I put her to work. Large yellow red from slave to start solenoid is as follows off position zero volts. Switch turned to on zero volts switch turned to start between 11.63 volts and 12.53v but mostly at 12v

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you jump the yellow/red wire to the red battery terminal on the solenoid to see if the starter actually works?

dowtom

Seaman

Okay I jumped the two. I got a click nothing else. I have 2 photos below. One is the starter mounted solenoid. I believe is wired up right. Not sure though. The. R terminal is empty but I believe that is for the ignition coil which comes from the slave solenoid in this case.

Second is a picture of the starter itself there is a post on it but I'm not sure for what.

Also I still have a random ground write.. Not sure if starter need it's own ground or just being bolted to the block is enough

IMG_20130609_135150.jpgIMG_20130609_162305.jpg

The starter is brand new never been used

Don S

If you jumped those two and only got a click, then you have starter solenoid problems. Take the starter loose and see if while loosening it you hear the starter bendix release the flywheel.

When it clicks, is it a little click or a louder CLUNK sound? Can you turn the engine by hand?

dowtom

Seaman

Okay I went ahead abs loosened /removed the starter. As I got near the end I hear a noise somewhere louder than a click. Also attached are the starter out of the boat. Can I bench test it? IMG_20130609_175113.jpg

The posts with a nut on the top did not have a my wires attached

Don S

Can you turn the engine by hand?

dowtom

Seaman

Ding dong... I had it hook up the sane way add is in the boat and nothing... I put the ground to the screw that is on the front of the starter and she lives and engaged. So bolting to the block is not enough ground it needs a ground to the lug in it to I guess. Of to reinstall

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I would not have thought that:confused: Let us know how it works out.

Don S

You obviously don't have a good ground cable or connection on your engine. It only takes one little strand to show a reading on a meter, but it won't be enough to engage the starter solenoid.

You don't think the mount bolt and the starter being against the housing isn't enough of a ground?

That terminal on the back of the starter is for a support bracket.

dowtom

Seaman

She cranks! Hot dog... Now to diagnose the no start but that should be easier I hope