1989 Regal 185 Mercruiser starter solenoid?

dowtom

Seaman
Hey everyone, first time poster. I just recently bought a 1989 Magestic (i believe) 185 from a couple a few miles down the way for $100.00. They said it did run at one time, but I wasnt able to get it to start. Im experiencing some interesting things with it. With the Battery Positive connected to the Solenoid (next to the starter) my bulge will work(wont shut off but i think thats a bad switch), the blower will turn off and on, but no other accessories will work (ie horn - not too worried about that though). But the main problem is, when i turn the key nothing. No noises, nothing. However if I avoid the solenoid and connect direct to the starter, the motor will crank (SLOWLY) like it has a dying battery almost, but it wont turn over.

So my question is almost two fold. What may cause the motor to crank and crank slowly but not turn over, and does anyone have a wire diagram for the solenoid so i can wire it correctly and hopefully turn the key to start the boat. Any help is always welcome. Thank in advance.

dowtom

Seaman
Re: 1989 Regal 185 Mercruiser starter solenoid?

Hey everyone, first time poster. I just recently bought a 1989 Magestic (i believe) 185 from a couple a few miles down the way for $100.00. His grandparents wanted it out of their yard. They said it did run at one time, but I wasnt able to get it to start. Im experiencing some interesting things with it. With the Battery Positive connected to the Solenoid (next to the starter) my bulge will work(wont shut off but i think thats a bad switch), the blower will turn off and on, but no other accessories will work (ie horn - not too worried about that though). But the main problem is, when i turn the key nothing. No noises, nothing. However if I avoid the solenoid and connect direct to the starter, the motor will crank (SLOWLY) like it has a dying battery almost, but it wont turn over.

So my question is almost two fold. What may cause the motor to crank and crank slowly but not turn over, and does anyone have a wire diagram for the solenoid so i can wire it correctly and hopefully turn the key to start the boat. Any help is always welcome. Thank in advance.

Im not completely sure the wires are in the correct location as a few were less unplugged when i got it.

PS the positive wire got REALLY hot when it was trying to crank connected directly to the starter.

SORRY IT WOULDNT LET ME EDIT MY POST.

dowtom

Seaman

Many thanks,

I will do best to follow the rules and edit my post accordingly as well as follow the troubleshooting guide.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He was trying to get you to ID your engine and drive, not follow the rules of editing. Did you read the first link?

dowtom

Seaman

He was trying to get you to ID your engine and drive, not follow the rules of editing. Did you read the first link?

Yes that is what i men't by following the rules unfortunatly im currently not near the boat, will be tomorrow and when i began looking for the serial number i could not find the tag with it (serial number)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... when i began looking for the serial number i could not find the tag with it (serial number)

At least tell us what engine it is! :facepalm:

dowtom

Seaman

Unfortunately, I can not find a tag on this engine anywhere. I checked next to the starter, nothing. I also checked next to the pulley with no luck. It is a 4cylinder, anywhere else to check on the motor size? Also with that information are you able to tell me the location of the slave solenoid?

achris

ok.. .a 4 cylinder... Let's try and work out if it's a GM or the Merc 470.... Is the carburettor on the port side of the engine or starboard? and the same question for the exhaust manifold....

Chris.......

dowtom

Seaman

My buddy who restores cars as a hoppy said it looked alot like a gm motor this morning i will check the exhaust but the carb is located starboard side of the boat

achris

My buddy who restores cars as a hoppy said it looked alot like a gm motor this morning i will check the exhaust but the carb is located starboard side of the boat

That's a '470'...(3.7 litre, 170hp engine).... Slave solenoid is under the exhaust manifold....
Unless the 185 in your title is the engine, not the boat length, in which case it's a '485', 185hp... but it's the same engine basically...

dowtom

Seaman

Alrighty tha k you for that. I will look tomorrow for it and hopefully she will purr.. i read alot frpm people who dont like this motor. Is there something i can do so i dont feel that way. Is it really that bad of an engine

achris

Alrighty tha k you for that. I will look tomorrow for it and hopefully she will purr.. i read alot frpm people who dont like this motor. Is there something i can do so i dont feel that way. Is it really that bad of an engine

Do a search, and lots of reading.... With it being 1989 you should have the 4" heat exchanger already, that's one problem solved... The other 2 main problems are the alternator and the water pump/camshaft seals....

Biggest thing with these engines... keep up the maintenance, especially replace the water pump impeller (in the leg) every 2 years, MAX...

Chris.......

dowtom

Seaman

Well I did find the slave solenoid, same one i found a while ago, however i do not see anywhere the starter solenoid, it is not located on top of the starter, It does have a replacement starter on it, any chance that it didn't come with one? Can the boat start without the second solenoid/
Thanks,
And Happy Memorial Day to all.

dowtom

Seaman

Any ideas? I looked again this morning before work, and couldnt find it.

achris

The slave solenoid is located under the centre of the exhaust manifold... There is no solenoid on the starter motor itself... Yes, they run with just the slave and the starter motor, just like cars back in the 60s & 70's....

dowtom

Seaman

It does look similar. To that manifold except the overflow resevouir is located starboard side not port sidw. It has a 2 barrel carb on it. The starter says its a rereplacement on it. Any chance they changed it to a non solenoid starter

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It does look similar. To that manifold except the overflow resevouir is located starboard side not port sidw. It has a 2 barrel carb on it. The starter says its a rereplacement on it. Any chance they changed it to a non solenoid starter

Yeah I think the overflow is on the front starboard in the original configuration.

Sounds like the starter was changed, and is the earlier style. If so the slave is wrong for that starter. This is the one you should have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Mer...-96-/140704345435?hash=item20c2a1ed5b&vxp=mtr it might be a good investment.

dowtom

Seaman

Okay yeah that looks nothing like it. Any chance i can change my slave the the correct style ans it will work or would it be safe to say the starter will need to be replaced eventually change it now to the correct one onstead of dealing witht the same hassle later dow. The line?