4.3LX Runs great but starts funny

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1997 4.3LX with TV ignition. Most of the time when I turn the key to start, the starter will bog down for a second or two and then take off. The engine will start right away after this. I disconnected the ignition and the engine turns over right away (no bogging of the starter). I have seen this in my old hot rod days when timing was advanced too far and a cylinder would fire early during the initial turn of the engine. The starter is in very good shape, the battery is fully charged, and the timing is set per the service manual (in base timing mode). It will do this whether hot or cold and whether it has been shut off for a few second or several hours. Engine runs fine and always starts right up hot or cold. Someone has jumped around the oil pressure switch to make the fuel pump run whenever the ignition is on. It seems like it needs a slight delay between starter engagement and ignition firing to let the engine get spinning first. Should this condition be of any concern, or would it be normal for this model engine? Or do I have a wiring problem somewhere?