engine alignment VS. bad engine bolt/spring washer?? 3.0 MERCUISER

playpool

Cadet
Hello, I have a question regarding my engine install. I rebuild my 3.0 140 mercruiser last year and am finally trying to align the engine. I understand the concept of how to align it by raising or lowering the engine due to the grease marks on my alignment tool but my problem come when I have the rear mount tightened down. When the bolts are tight I get heavy grease marks on the port side. What confuses me is when I loosen the bolts and the engine just rest the tool will slide in perfectly fine with obvious small height adjustments needed.

So I am wondering if the spring washers are bad or bad rubber mounts in the bell housing. I have raised the engine up to make sure that I have installed both spring washers. Any idea's or past experience here? I have read until my eyeballs came close to falling out of my head. Please help! Thanks in advance:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine alignment VS. bad engine bolt/spring washer?? 3.0 MERCUISER

Remove the lag bolts holding the front of the engine, tighten down the rear and see if the engine wants to move to the side.
I usually lift some weight off the front mount to see if it finds it's own center with the rear mounts tightened down.

playpool

Cadet

I'm on it. I will come back with results in a few minutes. Thanks!

playpool

Cadet

Ok, I removed the lag bolts and raised the engine about 1/2" and tightened the rear bolts then lowered the engine. I got the same result. The tool is hard to pull out. I then loosened up the rear bolts and it comes out nice and easy. What gives?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If its pulling that hard on one side, check the hardware under both mounts, could also be a defective (soft) rear mount.

playpool

Cadet

When I rebuilt the engine I lost one spring washer. I bought a new one and did not replace both sides. Is it possible that the spring washer (old one) is worn out and creating the problem? I didn't even think of replacing both sides but I wish I would have now!