Thermostat kit

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I changed thermostats to chase down a possible heating problem .I purchased kit 807252T 5 .The gasket choice included one with the brass rivets thru it but the parts guy said I should use the one that matched the oval cap of the housing .It had no rivets ....my system has the white plastic sleeve to hold down the stat and two bolts thru the cap,then gasket and into the housing .Will not the bolts provide a ground or am I missing something?...my heating problem is the reading on my gauge ...I changed the sensor and with an infrared gun am getting readings of 170 to 175 but my gauge reads about 10 to 15 degrees higher....I have since learned that when I changed the impeller and didnt use alignment pins I may have exhaust gases in the cooling water which may cause a temp rise ....I checked water flow from the impeller and it pumped 14-15 litres over 1 minute at just over an idle....any comments people ...maybe I am chasing a ghost but I hate seeing the gauge between 180 and 190 ...thanks,Bob

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thermostat kit

The large center section of the thermostat housing is sandwiched between 2 gaskets. In theroy, the bolts would supply a ground path, but the gasket between the cover plate (where the bolts contact) and body of the housing would be an insulator. Install the gasket w/ the rivets between the body and intake manifold for a good ground, or as I did, I drilled and tapped a hole for a 10-24 S/S screw in the body of the housing (not into the water jacket) and added a ground wire there. This eliminated the need of the "special" gasket and the premium paid for it.

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maybe we have different housings...my sending unit threads into the block below and to one side of the stat...it grounds itself ,Right? ...what other reason would I need for a ground continuity to the cap over the thermostat? ...thanks,Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The T5 kit is the wrong one for your engine, you should have the 807252T 2

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I changed the sensor and with an infrared gun am getting readings of 170 to 175 but my gauge reads about 10 to 15 degrees higher

Then your gauge or sender is off, you are not getting exhaust gas into the cooling system. If that was the case, your IR gun would show higher temps also.
Not using alignment pins does not automatically cause leaks. It just makes the job easier.

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don ...I will bring the kit number to the dealers attention...offhand ,do you know the difference in those kits? ...I replaced the sender last year so I guess the gauge is next...I just want it to read correctly even tho I know using the IR gun it is not too hot ,regards...Bob