exhaust

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HI. I have a 1993 brovo two and I seam to be missing a part. The part I'm missing is the part that hooks on the outdrive from the transom, there is a large hose sticking out of the transom but there is nothing that would hook to the outdrive exhaust when the motor is lowerd. Can anyone identify the missing part...

Attachments

• 1337639320490.jpg
    1337639320490.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1337639320871.jpg
    1337639320871.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: exhaust

goes here.

Attachments

• 1337639320871.jpg
    1337639320871.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 0

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes that's what it looks like, but is there a part that go'es in between the two. the hose doesn't look like it would stretch that far? the hose is round and the part comming out of the motor is elongated..

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes that's what it looks like, but is there a part that go'es in between the two. the hose doesn't look like it would stretch that far? the hose is round and the part comming out of the motor is elongated..
Any one got a picture of one hooked up?

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So it looks like there is only one peace but I don't know how you could put on or keep it on when you raised the outdrive. Helpbellows.jpg

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So it looks like there is only one peace but I don't know how you could put on or keep it on when you raised the outdrive. HelpView attachment 147770

Looks like your exhaust bellows did a disappearing act, leaving just the clamp portion and stiffening wire there. Did the boat get a loud exhaust tone all of a sudden? She'll run fine with or without it, but you should have either the bellows or optional "exhaust tube" on there to keep exhaust gasses away from the input shaft bellows to prevent the exhaust from damaging that one too. The exhaust bellows connection points are oblong on drive end and round on the transom end.

If it was brittle enough to bust off and disappear on it's own, due to age, I would certainly be looking at the condition of the big input shaft and small shift cable bellows too, since you have a nice clear shot at them with the exhaust out of the way..... They may be due (way overdue) for replacemnet too. Failure of either of those 2 is very very bad.

If you are going to do the work yourself, get the Mercruiser manual (available for download on here), if you don't have it already (which I doubt because you are asking these questions). Do not rely not the manuals you find in the discount auto parts stores. The Mercruiser manual explains everything in great detail. Replacing that bellows is "usually" quite easy, but can be frustrating the 1st time untill you learn the "tricks of doing it".

Philster

Captain

The exhaust bellows is not needed. If you want to boat without it, go for it. It pushes exhaust out the prop. Does nothing to stop water. When you tilt the motor, it's not attached anyway.

Just know that. Feel free to fix it, but there are boats with through-hull exhaust that always have that piece missing.

It's not a show stopper. Don't let it stop you from boating, and fix it yourself since it's not fancy or risks your life if you get it wrong.

docspenc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank's so much for your info... I think i'll just use the boat untill I can figure out how to do it myself. The bellows is there just not hooked to the outdrive.. It's stiff with out much give in it, seams like it would just pull off of the outdrive even if I could get it on, when you lifted the drive up... but don't know I'll figure it out someday with your help.. THANK'S

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might want to look at this service bulletin that talks about exhaust bellows falling off on the a1g2, b1, b2 units and go down to the last page and look at how the hose clamp is suppose to be positioned: 3 o'clock pointing down.

By the picture you have it appears that clamp is at 11:00 o'clock; how close is it to the shift cable bellows?
Even if you don't want to bother right now taking it off and putting on the exhaust boot, you might want to take the hose clamp off.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/93/93_16.PDF

Mark