Trim limit wiring

tjb1231

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced my trim sender and limit switches. When I got into the boat to connect the wires the limit wires were cut shortly after entering the transom. I looked at the Mercruiser manual to see where they go but the info just isn't sinking in. Where would they connect to? Do I follow the wires back from the throttle?

89 Chaparral Alpha One

Thank You

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Trim limit wiring

The limit switch wires connect to the 2 connectors on the harness, at the trim pump end... You should see a connector with a Purple/white wire and a connector with 2 blue/white wires....

Chris.......

tjb1231

Seaman Apprentice

I found the purple/white and the two blue/white wires. The previous owner connected all three of those wires together. I was wondering if this was a common hack and all I have to do is disconnect those three wires and connect the two trim limit wires? How do I know which trim wire goes where? Both trim wires are black but one wire has white writing, does that connect to the purple wire or the two blue wires?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Common hack, yes... Doesn't matter which black wire you connect to either of the others...

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found the purple/white and the two blue/white wires. The previous owner connected all three of those wires together. I was wondering if this was a common hack and all I have to do is disconnect those three wires and connect the two trim limit wires? How do I know which trim wire goes where? Both trim wires are black but one wire has white writing, does that connect to the purple wire or the two blue wires?
Im replacing mine as well.. and that is the same thing found, all three wires cut and twisted together.. thanks for askin this question, it gave me the answer i was looking for..